How Much Does Vinegar Cost?
Vinegar is a liquid consisting of about five to 20 percent acetic acid, water, trace chemicals and sometimes some flavoring. Vinegar can be used as a cooking ingredient, in pickling or even as a cleaning product.
How much is it?
- The cost of vinegar will depend on the type of vinegar you purchase, the brand, quantity and where it’s being purchased. On average, a bottle of vinegar will cost anywhere from $2 to as much as $11 depending on the volume.
- The most common type of vinegar that you can purchase is the white distilled vinegar. This type of vinegar usually comes from cane. Larger purchases that come in 4 gallon plastic containers can cost anywhere from $2 to $9. For instance, Heinz Distilled White Vinegar retails for $1.50 to $3 per bottle.
- Apple cider vinegar, which should be approved by USDA, is raw and unfiltered. The price for a 16 ounce cider vinegar can range from $2 to $4.
- Vinegar that has different flavors, such as balsamic vinegar or ume plum vinegar, can cost $2 to $11 depending on the volume of vinegar per bottle.
What is going to be included?
- Aside from the natural flavors produced from fermenting vinegars, there are companies that add flavorings to it to enhance its taste and to match it with the food to which it is being added.
- Vinegars are also used to make vinaigrettes; these are a combination of vinegar, oil and herbs that is commonly used as salad dressing.
- Aside from rice, strawberries and cane, vinegar can also come from other sources such as plums and apples. The vinegar is then poured into bottles that make it easier to dispense.
Tips to know:
- Vinegar possesses strong flavor qualities and it should be added to a dish sparingly; if the recipe you are using calls for vingear, follow the amount precisely. Vinegar can be added to other liquid ingredients such as oil to make different types of sauces or dressings.
- Since vinegar is fermented, you can stock it in your pantry for a long time and it will not go bad since it is naturally preserved.
How can I save money?
- Vinegar is not an expensive ingredient, but you can still save money when you buy from a store that sells it at a low price. You should do product comparison among different stores to make sure that you are getting the best deal.
- Many name brand vinegars will offer coupons on their official websites or even through social media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter.