How Much Does Wool Cost?
Wool is a fiber that is taken from different animals and can be used in many products. The most common type of wool is taken from sheep, but there are other types such as those taken from goats, rabbits, or camels. Wool makes a good carpet, comforter, mat, covering, or material for clothing, bags, hats, and shoes, among others. It is valued for its specific uses. Whether you are planning to get products for your home or simply give them as a gift, purchasing wool products will definitely be a good choice. For centuries, wool has been produced all over the world and people have been using it ever since. In fact, a sheep can produce a maximum of 30 pounds of wool each year. By purchasing wool fabric, you will be able to make many products on your own that will be of great quality and strength.
How much does it cost?
- According to Sheep101.info.com, raw wool is purchased on the basis of grade or the average fiber diameter and length of individual fibers. The higher the grade or quality, the higher the cost. If the raw wool is dirty, its grade or price is also reduced.
- Two years ago, the average price of wool in the United States was $1.67 per pound, or a total value of $48.9 million. The average fleece weight then was 7.3 pounds.
- On the other hand, according to wiki.answers.com, Merrino wool cost around $20 to $30 per pound. A pound of other types of wool cost between $15 to $30.
What is going to be included?
- Wool comes from various types of sheep which includes the long wool sheep, medium wool sheep, and fine wool sheep. Long wool sheep produces the heaviest fleeces. Some that produce coarse fibers become carpet wool. This is ideal for carpets and tapestries. Medium wool is used for making blankets, sweaters, socks, etc. while fine wool is used for making garments since it does not cause itchiness.
- Wool also includes various colors- white, black, light brown, among others. Wool products may come in natural colors or they can be dyed different colors.
- Large producers of wool typically sell their product to wool mills or warehouses. Some will directly sell them to hand spinners, while others may sell them to manufacturers or even craft stores for the average consumer to purchase.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be charged for shipping and delivery of wool. Check your local or online provider or supplier for more details.
- No matter the purpose of buying wool, you are going to need other materials as well as tools to make anything with the wool. These tools and materials will not be included in the purchase of the wool.
Tips to know
- Do some research before deciding to buy. Check out various websites or simply visit local retailers or ask some people around who are familiar with the wool industry. This way, you will be properly guided on how to choose wool of good if not the best quality.
- Wool that is directly sold to spinners will cost more. In niche markets, there is no limit as to what wool can sell for.
- White wool has more value than colored wool, especially in the commercial market today. White wool is considered more flexible since it can be dyed using other colors to meet the demands raised by customers.
- One sheep can produce up to 30 pounds of wool annually.
- In 2011, the United States produced more than 30 million pounds of wool.
- Unless you are purchasing wool to mass produce an item, your purchase may not be worth it. The time and money spent to hand make a sweater of wool, for example, would be more than simply purchasing the sweater at a local store.
How can I save money?
- If you are planning to buy raw wool, you can save money by choosing those with slightly lower grade such as those containing vegetable residues. You can clean the raw material so that the wool will be good as new.
- You can also save money when you purchase wool by bulk. Some suppliers will give discounts when you purchase by bulk.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|