How Much Does Yarn Cost?
Yarn is a continuous length of interlocked fibers which is commonly used for textiles, sewing, crocheting and rope making. Different yarns can have different finishes as well. They can be finished with wax or other lubricants that withstand the stresses used in sewing. Yarns can have different colors and they can be colored naturally or with dyes. There are different types of yarn sold today and depending on the manufacturer, the price can be very different. The quality of the yarn can also have an adverse effect on the price as well.
How much is it?
- On average, a standard roll of yarn that measures more than 95 yards can cost anywhere from $3 to $12 per spool. For example, the Lion Brand Yarn that is made from Organic Cotton retails for $7 to $10.
- Hand dyed yarn tends to be on the higher side and can vary anywhere from $15 to $30 per spool.
- An eCommerce store such as BargainYarns.com sells yarns that have different colors and quality. They sell Roxbury, glitter fringe and pinta print yarns that are sold at different prices which can start anywhere from $4 to $12.
- Another site that sells yarn such as GotYarn.com has yarn in various colors as well as a texture quality that is also offered at different prices. They sell each roll for anywhere from $9 to $11 and also sell kid yarns that are made of kid mohair that can sell for $8 to $13.
Types of yarn fibers:
What are the extra costs?
- In order to use the yarn, a needle will be needed in order to sew. Most yarn packages do not come with a needle. Basic packs of 2 can cost anywhere from $2 to $5.
- While optional, a yarn winder is ideal for those that want to have an automatic machine that can wind the yarn back up. These can cost anywhere from $22 to $50.
- For those that have more than one spool, a storage container is ideal to keep the yarn organized as well as kept in good condition. Simple organizers can cost anywhere from $10 to $25.
What is going to be included?
- Yarns are bundled with a sticker wrapping around the yarn. Noted on the sticker will be the amount of yarn, generally written out in yards.
- If purchasing a spool in the store, this gives you the opportunity to touch and feel the yarn and its quality. Most of the time, yarn on spools will be customized to a customer’s particular order.
How can I save money?
- Yarns are fairly inexpensive and different combinations are required to make sure that you get the best product out of the yarn. Highly consider purchasing your yarn in bulk if you are going to create a larger product.
- Many of your larger craft stores such a Jo-Ann Fabrics commonly have 40% off an item or even the entire purchase. Be sure to look for coupons before heading out to purchase yarn. This can be said with many various coupon codes as well if purchasing through an online source.