How Much Does an Ingrown Toenail Surgery Cost?
Ingrown toenail surgery is the treatment used as a last resort for an ingrown toenail. When a person hears the term “ingrown toenail,” he may think that it is no big deal. However, if you had experienced one before, you know that it is no joke; you may even still be suffering from the pain of it now. An ingrown toenail is a common problem that is caused by hyperhidrosis, improperly trimmed nails, or poorly fitting shoes. An ingrown toenail may affect only a tiny part of the body but if this is not be given proper attention, a serious infection might occur. If the area becomes infected, surgery will be required.
How much does it cost?
- According to HealthTap.com, the average cost of an ingrown surgery range from $250 – $400. The price varies because of factors such as location, the severity of your condition, and the doctor performing the surgery.
- The site HealthCareBluebook.com also gives a fair price of $199 as the payment for the surgery. However, this is not the fixed price; this price is based on the typical fee that doctors in your area accept as payment from insurance companies. You can also use this estimate as a basis with which you can negotiate with your provider or look for an in-network provider that charges a fair price.
- Remember, if you do have a health insurance policy, most will cover the procedure. You will only be left with the deductibles and co-pays. If you do not have a health insurance plan, consider using eHealthInsurance.com to find a policy that suits your needs.
What is going to be included?
- Although this is termed as a surgery, the process that one needs to undergo is fairly quick. Done by podiatrists (foot doctors), minor ingrown toenail surgeries require local anesthesia before the piece of nail is removed. Also, a chemical is used to cauterize tissue to insure that the nail does not grow back in the future.
- There is an after-surgery care that one needs to do in order to keep toenails from being infected.
- This person suffering from an ingrown toenail needs not undergo the same procedure for ingrown toenails that are not that severe. Usually, the doctors will just soak the affected toes in warm water and provide an antibiotic therapy.
Factors that influence the price:
- Location. As what have been mentioned, the permanent removal of ingrown toenails can amount to $250 – $400 without the insurance. However, if you are living in certain regions in the country where there are only a few podiatrists, you will likely pay much more than the average.
- The severity of the condition. Like other condition, the ingrown toenails are also classified in stages. The early stage may require very minor surgery or even just antibiotic therapy. This treatment procedure costs a little less than surgery would. However, those which have severe cases will likely undergo the electrocautery ablation or similar procedures. These are known to cost a lot more.
Tips to know:
- It is advised not to round the corners of the nail when you are cutting it; this will help you avoid the possibilities of having an ingrown nail. You should simply cut toenail straight across. In addition, keep your feet clean and dry at all times and always wear the appropriate footwear.
- You can treat minor ingrown symptoms at home for three to five days. You may only need to soak your foot in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes and place dry cotton on it. If no improvement is noticed, consult a physician.
- In the event that you worsened the condition of your toenail by self-treating it, you need to see a physician or foot doctor as soon as possible. Infections must be managed. Otherwise, they will result to some serious problems that range from sepsis to osteomyelitis, both of which have serious consequences.
- You will know that your ingrown toenail is getting better if the redness and swelling is being gradually reduced. Thus, the surgery is a success.
- You do not realize how much you rely on your toes for walking and balance until you have an ingrown toenail or another toe injury. This is the reason that ingrown toenails can be so painful and can cause people so many problems.
How can I save money?
- Make sure that your health insurance will cover the costs of your surgery. If they cannot cover the entire cost, they should at least some portions of it.
- To avoid costly surgeries in the future, you need not wait for your ingrown toenails to be worsened. It is recommended to do some home treatments during its initial stages. By doing so, you are saving a great deal of money.