How Much Do Karelian Bear Dogs Cost?
The Karelian Bear Dog is a dog that is native to Finland and is known to hunt just about any animal. This dog can stand anywhere from 19 to 24 inches tall and can weigh more than 50 pounds! The cost of this dog is going to vary depending on the breeder, the location, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- Finding a breeder for this type of dog can be somewhat difficult. Since many of these dogs have to be imported from countries such as Poland, Finland, and others, the prices are going to be higher than other breeds of dogs. On average, expect to spend anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500 for an AKC purebred dog. These are generally for puppies that range anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks of age.
- If ordering online, most breeders will ask for a non-refundable deposit. This is going to be around $100 – $200. Before placing the deposit, make sure that you are committed to purchasing the dog as many won’t give the money back.
What are the extra costs?
- Since many dogs are going to be outside of your hometown, you may find that you’re going to have to travel to a foreign country such as Canada or Finland. You’re going to want to factor in the airline ticket fees as well as lodging expenses. Keep in mind that if you’re going to fly back, crating fees are going to be added in order to fly your dog back to your homeland.
- With most dogs, all the accessories are going to be needed in order to ensure that your dog lives a long, sustainable life. These items include food, vaccinations, a dog house, a leash, etc..
- Some breeders will include health paperwork as well as shots. If shots aren’t included, these will be necessary to ensure that your dog remains healthy.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the breeder or the shelter, they may include some starter accessories. This can include everything from a leash to dog food.
- Most breeders will include shots, medical papers, tags, and more. If the dog is an AKC, be sure to get your certified papers as well. Most legitimate breeders will also include photographs of the parents.
Tips to know:
- These type of dogs can be rather aggressive toward children and smaller animals. While each and every dog will vary, be certain to ask the breeder what kind of temperament this dog has.
- It’s best to adopt a younger puppy so that you can have it adapt to your household surroundings. This is highly recommended for those with animals and children.
- These dogs are known to be a medium-sized dog that has a great devotion to their master.
How can I save money?
- This breed of dog is fairly rare. Consider shopping around for a dog that is available in your town. AKC breeds can be purchased for a significantly lower price.
- There’s a good chance that you’re going to have to go out of town to get this puppy. If this is the case, be sure to haggle with some breeders to ensure that you’re getting the best price.