How Much Does a Knee Brace Cost?
A knee brace is used to support the knee if it has been injured or is in pain. These braces can also be used by those who want to prevent knee injuries from happening. A knee braces can be made from combinations of plastic, foam, metal, straps and elastic.
How much does it cost?
- The price for a knee brace will differ significantly based on its complexity and purpose. There are some slip-on compression knee braces that many people use for support, or there are more durable braces that have straps to adjust the fit. These types of braces that can be worn during a sport or activity can be purchased through online sites such as Amazon.com or eBay for anywhere from $10 to $50. This price will depend on the brand and the material from which it is made.
- For instance, the popular Yasco Breathable Knee Support brace retails for $10 to $25.
- The knee braces used after surgery, however, are going to be a little more costly. This is especially true if the brace is custom made. For example, Braceshop.com sells custom knee braces for $760 to $900. Specific knee braces can be purchased below the average price, depending on the brand and the ailment or injury it addresses. A knee brace for arthritis, for instance, can be bought at $549.99.
- Prophylactic knee braces and other custom made braces can cost around a thousand dollars, according to JointRehab.com.
What is going to be included?
- Buying a knee brace for sports purposes can be relatively easy. These are readily available in most sports stores, online stores, and even stores like Meijer. In the package with the brace will be directions for how to put it on. There may also be tips regarding the tightness of the brace.
- Purchasing prophylactic and custom-made orthopedic knee braces used for sports or after a surgery cannot be done without assistance. One needs to know his injury first by consulting a medical professional. Doing so is also favorable since doctors have the knowledge of what the best knee brace for your condition would be. They will then measure your knee since the knee brace’s size must be in accordance to the measurement of the appendage. If all is set, you can then start shopping for the perfect orthopedic knee brace for you.
- The inclusions in purchasing a knee brace depend largely on the brand and the manufacturer of the specific brace bought. Most manufacturers include additional features such as undersleeves, sports cover, and brace bag.
- Most braces will come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with the product, it can be returned and your money will be reimbursed.
What are the extra costs?
- Doctor Consultation. You need to visit a doctor first before you can decide what knee brace you should buy. The doctor will do some tests and, if necessary, specific procedures in order to gauge what is the best orthopedic knee brace for you. If you have insurance, this will only cost you a co-pay or deductible.
- Therapy. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may also need physical therapy.
- Shipping fees. If you buy one online, you will likely pay for the shipping fees unless it is specified by the online store that it will be delivered to you for free. That is why it pays a lot to ask upfront about shipping fees to avoid being shocked when the shipping is added to the price.
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of knee brace
- The brand
- The severity of the injury that the knee brace helps in correcting
Tips to know:
- Depending on the level of support necessary, knee braces can be simple or complex. A stretchy neoprene sleeve can be used for usual support and custom-fitted support cages may be required by a physician for a severe knee injury.
- Although important, the knee brace must not be regarded as a replacement for a medical treatment.
- Patients wearing prophylactic knee braces should not rely solely on the knee brace to correct the knee. The patient will also need to do some physical therapy and workouts to ensure the proper and quick healing of the knee.
- When buying knee braces, study and research the special features of the specific knee brace.
- Knee braces can often get damaged during normal use, especially if the wearer uses it on a daily basis. Thus, it pays a lot to inspect the brace often to check if it still in quality. According to FamilyDoctor.org, a worn-out brace should be replaced for maximum benefit.
How can I save money?
- Shop around in order to find the best pharmacy or medical supply store that sells cheap yet quality knee braces. A quick search online or even using shopping comparison tools such as Google Shopping can help you find the best price.
- Even if they cost more, durable knee braces must be preferred since they will last longer and will eventually save you money.
- If you can have your medical insurance cover your purchase of the knee brace, it would really save you money. For those that do not have an insurance policy, consider using eHealthInsurance.com to find one.