How Much Does Knife Sharpening Cost?
Every person who prepares and cooks food would really agree when we say that one of the most annoying things we can encounter in the kitchen is the presence of a blunt knife. Aside from the fact that it makes slicing meats and vegetable hard, blunt knives delay cooking and can often cause slicing problems too. It goes without saying that a sharp knife is a cook’s best companion. That is why making your knife sharp all the time is necessary. With that being said, there are knife sharpening tools and devices you can buy for home use. Whenever your knife starts to act other than being sharp, you can sharpen it on your own.
How much does it cost?
- There are a lot of options for a person who wants to sharpen their kitchen knives. There are a wide array of products and devices that he/she can use, making the prices of these tools vary. Sharpening steel, for instance, can be bought at around $30 to $100 or more, depending on the brand and the quality of the sharpening steel. Chefknivestogo.com gives the price of different sharpening steels that can be found on the market.
- For a middle of the road product that can get the job done, plan on spending $30 to $100. For instance, the Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening Kit retails for $31 to $42.
- Another sharpening material that is used by most people is a sharpening stone. According to Sharpeningsupplies.com, there are different types of sharpening stones, namely diamond stones, water stones, oil stones, and others. All of these come at varying prices. Diamond sharpening stones, for example, can cost around $40 to over a hundred dollars.
- Other commercial knife sharpeners such as the Tru Hone Knife Sharpener cost more or less a thousand dollars. According to the official website, Truhone.com, the cost can range from $975.00 and $1,175.
- You can also opt for professional sharpening services that are in your local area. The costs for this vary from a company to another.
What is going to be included?
- If you buy a knife sharpener, it usually comes as a kit. A sharpening stone kit, for example, includes a bench stone holder and sharpening oil as well. Using a sharpening stone is very easy to use. You just need to hold the knife by its handle, put the blade at a 10 to 25-degree angle to the stone and draw the knife toward you and across the stone. By repeating the process, you will achieve a sharpened knife.
- For sharpening steel, you just simply hold the steel in one hand and the knife on the other. With the knife at a 10 to 25-degree angle to the steel, hold the steel rod steady and draw the knife blade down the steel. Repeating the process over and over will sharpen the knife in no time.
- Commercial knife sharpeners, on the other hand, are different. In fact, it requires less effort. There is usually a manual that comes with the purchase that relays the instructions on how to use it. The process usually involves drawing the knife blade through the mechanism toward you until the knife is sharpened.
- For sharpening services, you just need to bring your blunt knife and they will sharpen it for you.
What are the extra costs?
- Oil stone. This is essential if you are using a sharpening stone. The oil can be bought at around $30 to $70, depending on what is included in a kit.
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of knife sharpener. Steel and stone are known to have reasonable prices. However, commercial knife sharpeners come with a hefty price.
- Brand of the sharpener. Some brands are cheaper than the others.
Tips to know:
- According to an article on eHow.com, knives that are serrated or especially fine should be sharpened professionally by sharpening services. You can also bring them back on the manufacturer and they will be the ones to sharpen it.
- Make sure to always clean your knives. Clean knives won’t likely get blunt quickly. Also, store the knives properly.
- According to Sharpeningsupplies.com, in order to keep your knife sharp, it is also important to avoid using it as a pry bar, hammer, screwdriver or any other tool. Knives should only be used for cutting.
How can I save money?
- Know the proper care for your knives so that you won’t constantly go for a professional service.
- Purchase a sharpener that is known to be durable and is easy to use. You may invest more but if it’ll last really long, then you save money in contrast compared to constantly buying cheap yet ineffective ones.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|