How Much Do Knitting Needles Cost?
A knitting needle is the tool used to hand knit while creating knitted fabrics. These needles will have a long shaft with a taper at the end, and even though it has the word “needle” in it, it won’t be as sharp as a sewing needle. These needles come in various sizes determined by the diameter and length. The larger the diameter is, the larger the stitch will be.
How much is it?
- The costs of knitting needles usually varies depending on the brand, type,size and where its purchased at. Overall, the normal price range of knitting needles is anywhere from $3 to $20. A single point aluminum knitting needle (size 7), for example, costs $3.45 through Amazon.
- Double Pointed Needles are known to be much expensive than the usual straight ones. A set of 7-inch double pointed bamboo knitting needles, for example, is sold at $39.99 on Amazon.
- Circular needles are in the same price range as the double pointed needles. A particular brand of circular needles in glass is sold at Glasspens.com for $35 a set.
- Eknittingneedles.com, a site that is dedicated to selling premium knitting and crochet supplies, sells knitting needles of all types. Single point, double point, and circular knitting needles vary in price, but the range is from $10 to $20.
What is going to be included?
- Buying knitting needles is an easy task if you know what you are looking for in a needle. If you understand the factors that make a knitting needle easy to use, you will surely find shopping for needles a piece of cake.
- Specifically, you need to figure out the size of the knitting needle you want. You must also decide on the length of the needle based on your preference. You also need to choose the type of material you want your needle to be: bamboo/wood, metal or plastic/synthetic materials.
- When you buy a set of knitting needles, you will get the needles only. Other inclusions such as the markers and needle gauge are sold separately.
- Beginner sets of needles will most likely come with basic instructions for using them along with tips for knitting in general.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are into knitting and you want your hobby to be as organized as ever, you may need to consider other stuff aside from needles and yarn. Purchasing these will add to your expenses but they will make your knitting a whole lot easier. Although some of these may come as a part of a knitting kit, others will need to be purchased separately.
- Needle Gauge
- Knitting needle case
- Small tape measure
- Stitch markers
- Thread cutter or point protected scissors
- Crochet hook
- Darning needle
Tips to know:
- Depending on the type of project on which you are working, you may need different types of needles. The size of the needle can affect the size of the stitch which can in turn affect the style and look of the project.
- If you are buying knitting needles, you should consider the ones that weigh less. This is easier on the hands and can therefore allow you to accomplish more in a smaller amount of time.
- You also need to consider the sound the knitting needles make as you use them. You might find it annoying to use, most especially in public places if the sound is a bit loud. It is known that the loudest knitting needles are the ones made out of metal. Woods, on the other hand, are the quietest. So, if you are fond of knitting inside the train or in a movie theater, opt for wood over metal. You might just draw too much attention if metal needles are used.
- Small tedious movements with the hands and wrists can lead to things such as carpal tunnel syndrome. If you begin to experience pain in the wrists, consult your doctor. You may need to wear some type of brace while you knit.
How to save money?
- You can save money by buying knitting needles online. Sales and discounts are usually offered by most online stores. You can avail these to save money. Not to mention that most of these stores offer free shipping.