How Much Does Landscaping Design Cost?
Landscaping design services are going to be able to help you with everything from planting tree to laying out a retaining wall around your home. They are going to design a blue print layout based on your yard size, house style, and more. The cost of these services is going to vary depending on the features needed, how much work is going to be involved, as well as the size of your yard and you personal taste and preferences.
How much is it?
- On average, most homeowners are going to spend as little as $200 to as much as $3,000 to have a plan designed for your yard. The design company is going to create a detailed plan that suits your needs.
- For a consultation with a professional, a landscaping consultant from a company can charge upwards of $40 to $125 an hour. A landscaping architect is going to charge more in a city such as Los Angeles compared to a city in Iowa.
- For a landscaping company that is in demand or is well known, the price tag for a design alone can reach $20,000 or more.
- Software packages are available for those that want to do it themselves. Landscaping software can cost $20 to $100 depending on the brand and features. For example, the Chief Architect Home Designer sells for $80 to $110.
What are the extra costs?
- Landscaping design usually includes the blue print only. It is up to you to find the materials as well as to hire the landscaping company itself. Most consultants either work for the landscaping company itself, or they may have ties with one. On average, it may cost more than $10,000 to fully landscape a yard.
What is going to be included?
- A good consultant is going to have a great portfolio as well as pictures through which you can browse. They are going to walk you through the yard and showcase some options that can work for your particular situation.
- A provided blue print with estimates on what each plant, retaining wall, rock, etc. is going to cost you, as well as list of local landscaping companies that can work with you, will be included in the price.
How can I save money?
- Landscaping doesn’t require a professional to come in and assist you with your lawn. There are many alternatives that you can use when you want to save on your landscaping expenses. MSN has an article on 17 ways to landscape on the cheap.
- When working with a landscaping company, they may give you a free design if in turn you agree to use their services. Only sign up for this sort of offer if you know you’re going to be using their services.
- Many lower-grade services would be more than happy to offer a free consultation if you’re looking for something that is rather simple. It never hurts to call around to get a free quote.
- It’s always best to compare at least 3 landscapers in the area. Sites such as Service Magic allow you to compare prices/quotes to get the best idea on what it’s going to cost you.