How Much Does Laptop Backlight Repair Cost?
Over time, a laptop screen can lose its brightness and clarity through constant use. If this were to happen, the laptop’s backlight, which controls the brightness, will need to be either repaired or replaced with a new bulb or inverter.
How much does it cost?
- To have a professional replace the backlight of a laptop, be prepared to spend around $125 to as much as $200. However, those who want to purchase the parts only, the parts will usually cost less than $70. However, if the screen has to be replaced, the costs can cost upwards of $500. SEE: “How much does a laptop screen replacement cost?“
- Arndtcomputer.com, for instance, charges $175 for replacing a laptop’s backlight with a new bulb.
What is going to be included?
- A company repair company should provide a one-year warranty for the replacement bulb.
- The following LCD screen sizes are prone to backlight repairs: 4:3/14.1″, 16:9/14.1”, 4:3/15”, 16:9/15.4”
- Sometimes, the problem with the laptop backlight going dark does not require the replacement of a new screen. It may either be the backlight or the inverter has gone out, and because of this, a repair is all that is needed to fix the problem.
- The backlight of a laptop should allow the user to see in all different lights. This backlight should also be adjustable so that the brightness can be turned up or down as needed.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping your laptop to a repair company on the web may lead to additional shipping charges.
- You will also be charged more if the size of your laptop screen is other than what has been specified above.
- If the screen has to be replaced, plan on spending at least $200 to $300.
Factors that influence the price:
- Most of the time, the problem is just the inverter that usually goes out; and this item does not cost much. But if the problem involves the backlight itself, the cost could be higher. The cost of replacing the entire LCD is even costlier.
- Laptop repair may vary according to its brand, model, and on the service center.
- The replacement of the bulb will greatly depend on the size and model of the screen itself.
Tips to know:
- If your laptop screen has turned black, hold the screen up to a light at a certain angle. If you notice faint images in it, then the problem involves the backlight.
- Do not replace the entire LCD unless it is broken down beyond repair. It costs around four or five times higher than the backlight or the inverter.
- If you are going to repair the laptop’s backlight yourself, make sure to look over the manual first before attempting to do the repair.
- Remember that replacing your backlight may void your warranty. This is true whether you do it yourself or hire a professional. However, if the laptop is still under warranty, this may be covered.
- If you want to save the backlight for as long as possible, keep the screen light turned down when possible. For example, the screen will naturally be easier to see at night since there is contrast between the darkness and the laptop. Turning down the brightness when it is dark can help save the bulb and the battery life.
How can I save money?
- If you know how to do it, or any member of your family can, it would be a lot cheaper to do the repair yourself. You only need to purchase the part or bulb that has become defective. If you do not know where to start, refer to this ComputerShopper.com guide.
- If you want to hire the pros, be sure to get a handful of quotes from different service centers or shops and decide on one that you think can do the job well. Ask for referrals from friends and relatives. Check with the company or store from which you purchased your laptop.
- Make sure that this type of repair is worth the money. If the repair is going to cost half of what your laptop is worth, you may be better off purchasing a new laptop.