How Much Does a Laptop Charger Cost?
A laptop charger is essential to being able to work on the go. No matter what type of laptop you may have, you do need to regularly recharge its battery to keep the computer’s power going. Most new laptops come with power chargers, but through constant use, you sometimes need to replace the old charger that no longer works as efficiently as when it was new. The good thing is that we can purchase replacement chargers anytime. Most of the time, you will need to purchase a charger that is made by the same company that makes the model of computer that you have. However, there are some generic chargers that may work for more than one type of laptop.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the brand of the laptop, the average laptop charge is going to range anywhere from as little as $10 to as much as $80.
- This Universal AC Adapter that is highly rated on Amazon retails for $12-$35, while a replacement laptop charger for a Dell Inspiron retails for $7 to $15.
- For example, Atbatt.com provides the following prices of laptop chargers of different brands:
- HP — $22 to $44
- Dell — $23 to $45
- Gateway — $28 to $45
- Lenovo — $28 to $45
- Acer — $20 to $30
- Toshiba — $30 to $45
- Compaq — $22 to $32
- Asus — $22 to $32
- Fujitsu — $20 to $35
- Sony — $50 to $60
- Apple — $30 to $60
What is going to be included?
- Laptop charger power cords will be connected to an A/C adapter. This power cord can be detached for easy storage. The cords should also have some type of clip, strip of velcro, etc. so that it can be wrapped neatly without getting tangled.
- Laptop chargers can either be universal or specialized. A universal adapter charger is suitable for users that have several electronic devices. This is a good alternative, compared to the expensive, custom-built charger. But be sure that its voltage and amperage are compatible with your laptop.
- The specialized device chargers are specifically designed to match the laptop, providing the latter with the appropriate amount of power, perfectly sized connector tip, power supply voltage, and amperage. Voltage ranges can be anywhere from 15 to 70 watts.
- Laptop chargers should have a cord that is long enough for the computer to be plugged in a few feet away so that you can work and charge at the same time.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase a laptop charger online, you might be charged extra for shipping.
Factors that influence the price:
- The cost of laptop chargers vary according to its brand, model, and on the store from which you buy it.
- The store’s geographical location also affects the prices of the product.
Tips to know:
- Make sure that you know the output voltage of your current charger. If the new adapter’s voltage is too high, you can cause extreme damage to your laptop. Also make sure that the tip of the connector can fit into your laptop.
- Laptop chargers should have a list of brands and model numbers for which the charger will work. Make sure that you read the list to make sure your specific model number is on the charger.
- If you are having trouble charging your laptop, make sure you determine the root of the problem. It may be that your charger is not working properly and that you need a new one, but it could also be that the battery of the laptop is not holding a charge or charging at all.
- Consider buying a universal laptop charger if you have more than one laptop. It can serve as a great backup.
- Be sure to read consumer reports or reviews for suggestions on good brands to purchase if you are not buying the same brand as your computer.
- Be very careful when buying a used charger because it might already have some defects. Know why the seller wants to sell his charger.
- Be sure that the company or store from where you purchase your laptop charger offers a guarantee on the product and allows for returns.
- Be careful using a generic brand charger. If your laptop is still under warranty, the company may void the warranty because you are using a charger that is not made by them. Check with the manual or the sales representative to be sure.
How can I save money?
- Shop online to check and compare the different prices of laptop chargers.
- Check with the manufacturer of the computer. If yours is still under warranty, they may replace the charger for free or at least at a discounted rate. Even if you are not under warranty, some manufacturers will still give you a replacement.
- Used chargers may come cheaper than new ones, but be sure that they are functioning well before deciding to buy one. Also verify whether or not you can return the item in the case you find it defective.
- Opt for a universal charger. It is cheaper than the custom-built one.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|