How Much Does Larval Therapy Cost?
People used to think that maggots are dirty creatures that are useless to society. However, maggots can very useful in disinfecting wounds. This is known as larval therapy, or maggot therapy. Larval therapy is a biotherapy which involves the introduction of live maggots onto a non-healing skin or soft tissue wound to clean out necrotic or dead tissue in the wound. This therapy has been used throughout history and has been effective in drawing out dead tissue, leaving clean, live tissue within the wound. People need not to worry since maggots do not feed on live tissue, and many doctors have approved of this therapy because of its effectiveness.
How much is it?
- Larval therapy prices don’t vary much. Because the larvae is pretty much available everywhere, the price for this type of therapy is relatively low. This can be an alternative to expensive antibiotics. Coincidentally, there are wounds that will not react to antibiotics and only larval therapy can be the solution for disinfecting the wound.
- Larval therapy costs anywhere from $80 to $140. One problem that may occur is finding a doctor that would actually perform the therapy since it is well known that doctors do not makemuch os a profit when performing this type of therapy.
What are the extra costs?
- Larval therapy may be considered as the additional cost since this is a step done to cure wounds. People who have a hard time healing, such as diabetic patients, mostly use this type of therapy.
- Consultation with a doctor to provide you a prescription can be considered as an additional cost for having maggot therapy.
- Succeeding visits to the doctor will cost you extra since the therapy may consist of several steps and any additional visit will be charged by the doctor. The price all depends on how much your doctor charges per visit.
What is going to be included?
- The initial dressing of the wound with fly larvae is included with the initial payment. The doctor will perform the necessary steps to ensure that the wound heals properly.
How can I save money?
- Some insurance companies will cover the price of larval therapy. Ask your medical providers if this is possible to save up on larval therapy cost.
- Look for a list of doctors that will offer or prescribe you with this type of therapy. Remember that not all doctors will prescribe this therapy.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|