How Much Does Lathe Machine Cost?
Lathe machines are tools that rotate a workpiece on its axis and can perform various operations such as cutting, sanding and knurling. Lathe machines produce different products such as cue sticks, table legs, baseball bats, as well as different musical instruments. Lathe machines are the perfect tool a machinist can have as it provide them results that can’t be found anywhere else. Lathe machines vary in shape and size as well as different power outputs. The more powerful the product is, the higher the price of the lathe machine will be. Different companies also offer the machine at different prices.
How much is it?
- On average, a lathe machine can cost $1,700 used to as much as much as $24,000 brand new.
- A brake lathe machine can cost $600 to $9,500. A mini lathe machine can cost $450 to $10,600. A wood based lathe machine can cost $1,500 to $3,100.
- For example, a company such as Global Industrial offers a 16” x 40” 220v, 3 phase tool room lathe that is engineered with strict control over tolerances. This machine costs anywhere from $18,000 to $21,000.
- A 9” x 20” geared head, belt driven bench lathe that provides precision metal cutting and metal turning work can cost $1,200 to $2,200.
- A 12 x 20 combo lathe that has 2 separate motors to be used as a lathe and a milling machine can cost between $1,600 and $2,700.
What are the extra costs?
- The lathe would need to have spare parts in case it gets broken. Spare parts are necessary to keep the machine working as it can be rendered useless if even one part is not working. The price of these spare parts can vary depending on the type of part. They are usually priced at $25 to $150 per piece.
- Most shops prefer to extend the warranty for the product. This is going to ensure that the product lasts longer than the manufacturer’s warranty that is provided.
What is going to be included?
- The cables required to operate the machine will be provided with purchase. An instruction manual is also included so the user knows how to properly handle the lathe machine.
- Most machines that are purchased new come with a limited manufacturer’s warranty that can last up to a lifetime.
- A lathe machine is ideal for those that want to make parts of an engine or even make repairs. Depending on the make and model, most will come with an enclosed gear box with a certain amount of spindle speeds.
How can I save money?
- There are different companies that offer a lathe machine. Compare prices between several brands so that you will be able to choose the brand that offers the lowest priced lathe machine.
- Consider purchasing a lathe machine used. By doing so, you can save up to 40% by using sites such as Craigslist and eBay. A used machine can cost up to 30% less than a new one.