How Much Does a Lawn Mower Tune Up Cost?
A lawn mower tune up is something that is important and inevitable if you own a lawn mower. If you own a home that has any size yard, you most likely own some type of lawn mower. If you have made a habit of giving your lawn mower a tune up at the beginning of each season, you will understand what a great difference it can make when performing yard work. It will make the lawn mower run more smoothly and become more efficient. Whether you have a riding lawn mower or a push lawn mower, the cost of lawn mower tune up will depend on the service provider, the make and model of the mower, as well as a few other factors.
How much is it?
- For a four-cycle push behind lawn mower, plan on spending anywhere from $55 to $85 for a full service.
- For a riding lawn mower, a professional service can charge anywhere from $75 to $180.
- Tune ups for commercial lawn mowers can cost anywhere from $100 to $225.
- Do keep in mind that the prices above will usually include parts, but some companies may charge extra. Always be sure to ask.
- For instance, Jack’s Lawn Mower Service charges $54.99 plus parts for a walk behind mower tune up, while a commercial rider can cost $89.99 plus parts.
- According to a forum thread on the popular website Gardenweb.com, users claimed that they paid anywhere from $150 to $170 for a full tune up.
What is going to be included?
- A basic lawn mower tune up is going to include checking the spark plugs and filters as well as sharpening the lawn mower blade. If any of the parts need to be replaced, they will be replaced during the tune up. The oil will also be emptied and replaced.
- Other jobs involved in a tune up will include lubing and greasing the chassis, checking the clutch, transmission, leveling the cutting deck and setting the air pressure in the tires.
- The average professional job should take no longer than two hours.
- A lawn mower tune-up can increase fuel economy by a third, extend the life of the engine, reduce repair costs and decrease emissions by up to 50 percent.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from the basic spark plugs, filters and sharpening, if there are any other parts that need to be replaced, additional part fees can incur. This can include new tires, carb cleaning, belts, etc.
- In extreme circumstances, the blade and/or the engine may have to be replaced or rebuilt. The average lawn mower usually can last 8 to 12 years if treated properly.
Tips to know:
- Most companies will provide you a quote up front, but make sure that you find out what the actual parts are going to cost because most are going to charge parts extra.
- Every spring, experts will recommend that you get a tune to prolong your mower’s life.
- It is recommended that you get a tune up once a year or change the oil every 50 hours of use, whichever comes first. It is also suggested that you change the oil at the first 5 hours of use on a brand new lawn mower. This only needs to be done once.
- If you are going to perform the tune up on your own, make sure you read the users manual carefully. Although most tune ups are basically the same, your specific make and model may have special instructions which you need to follow.
How can I save money?
- Tuning up a lawn mower is a lot easier than you think. By doing it on your own, you can save up to $100. Basic parts to complete the job should cost you no more than $20. FamilyHandyMan.com has a step-by-step guide on how to complete the process.
- If you have other common tools such as a leaf blower, edger or weed whacker, try to bring these all in at once for an annual tune up. Many companies will provide bulk discounts.
- If the company has a website, see if they have any promotions or coupons on their website of which you can take advantage.
- If your mower is getting to be around 8 to 12 years old, you may want to contemplate purchasing a new one, especially if it is a push behind model.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|