How Much Does Dry Cleaning a Leather Jacket Cost?
Due to the nature of the leather fabric, cleaning it needs to be done by a professional to ensure that the quality of the jacket stays the same while the jacket itself is cleaned and pressed.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the dry cleaner and the size of the jacket, the costs of dry cleaning a leather jacket will typically be between $25 and $45.
- Dry cleaning leather jacket services at Robinson’s Cleaners in Missouri cost $40. The price applies to any leather jacket.
- NY Organic Dry Cleaners in Rego Park, New York, offers leather jacket dry cleaning services for $40.
What is going to be included?
- Ordering dry cleaning services for a leather jacket requires placing an order online and making the necessary payments. The leather jacket is then placed in a bag. Depending on the chosen services, the dry cleaning company may pick up the item or have it shipped to them. Once cleaned, the item is shipped or delivered back to the customer according to a specified period.
- When you take your leather jacket to the dry cleaners, the first thing that they will do it tag it so that it does not get confused with any of the other items in the service.
- Just like pre-treating your clothes when washing them at home, the dry cleaner will pre-treat any spots or problem areas.
- The jacket will then be placed in a machine to be cleaned in the solvent.
- After the washing, the stains and spots will be inspected once more to ensure that they are gone. If not, they will be further treated.
- Once all the washing is complete, the comforter will be dried, folded, ironed (if needed), and packaged.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra services such as mold and mildew treatment as well as fire damage (smoke) processing may require extra charges, with some companies charging $6 for each service.
- Shipping the leather jacket to a dry cleaner entails extra charges, which depend on your location and mode of shipment.
- If you want to get other items dry cleaned at the same time as your leather jacket, you will have to pay for this per item.
- If the color on your leather jacket has faded significantly, most dry cleaning services can re-dye your jacket for a small fee.
Tips to know:
- It is recommended that leather jacket is dry-cleaned at least once a year in order to retain its quality and ensure its longevity.
- Dry cleaning companies can be trained and certified to provide cleaning and re-dyeing services to leather jackets. The cleaning process may entail restoring the oils to the skin, then finished by spraying again for color.
- Some dry cleaning companies offer free water repel for every leather jacket dry cleaning service. A protective coating may also be applied to the leather jacket after cleaning to keep it protected from external elements.
- There are dry cleaning companies that recommend insuring the package sent to them for dry cleaning to ensure customer protection in the event of a loss or damage.
- Do not leave leather jackets inside a plastic bag. As soon as it arrives from a dry cleaner, remove it right away from the plastic to allow the leather to breathe and to avoid trapping moisture in the fabric.
How can I save money?
- Look for a dry cleaner operating located within your neighborhood and personally drop your leather jacket for cleaning. Some companies may charge customers for picking up items located outside their radius. Additionally, shipping to a dry cleaner requires additional costs. Thus, opting for a nearby service provider is more sensible, budget-wise.
- Shop around for the most affordable rates offered for leather jacket dry cleaning services. Compare the turnaround time of the dry cleaners as well.
- Once you find a good dry cleaning service that you really like, try to stay loyal to that shop. The more often you go there, the better deals you may see and the better customer service you will receive.
- If you take multiple items to the dry cleaners, you will most likely be charged less per item.