How Much Does a Leopard Gecko Cost?
A leopard gecko is a gecko commonly found in parts of Asia and Pakistan. The unique thing about the leopard gecko that separates itself from other geckos is that it can move its eyelids. A leopard gecko can grow up to 11 inches and weigh no more than 70 grams. These geckos have commonly become popular pets in many households across the United States. The cost of a leopard gecko is going to depend on the size, age, as well as the breeder selling one.
How much is it?
- On average, a leopard gecko can cost anywhere from $20 to as much as $70. These geckos can commonly be found at local pet stores for less than $30. Start up costs including the tank as well as the food can cost upwards of $150 to $200.
- Rare breeds can cost anywhere from $100 to as much as $500. For example, a Diablo Blanco can cost $150 to $225.
- For example, PetSmart sells a leopard gecko for $34.99. Be sure to check with local city and state laws to ensure that this type of animal is legal within your borders.
- A private breeder such as VMSherp.com offers geckos that can range in price from $40 to $200.
What are the extra costs?
- An aquarium larger than 10 gallons will be recommended so that the gecko can move freely. These aquariums must have a screen lid to allow proper ventilation.
- Geckos need to have their aquariums lined with reptile carpet or sand. This will have to be changed at least once a month.
- The diet of a gecko will include mealworms and crickets. Other worms such as superworms and waxworms can be fed as well. Set aside $15 to $30 per month to feed your pet.
- A heat pad or light will be required since this is part of the natural environment of a gecko. The daytime temperatures should be around the 90 degree Fahrenheit mark, while at night the temperature can be lowered to 80 degrees.
What is going to be included?
- Growing up to 10 inches, adult geckos have a yellow base with brown spots. As the younger ones age, they will begin to acquire their a pattern. These reptiles can live up to 20 years.
- Breeders online may include a start up package that includes a crate for travel, food, and guides to learn how to take care of them.
How can I save money?
- Most pet stores are going to have geckos that are fairly common. If you are looking for something that is rare, it may be best to check with a few breeders online. Be sure to ask questions about where they come from as well as do research on what the breeder is all about. While a pet store is a great alternative to consider, make sure that you inquire about the health to ensure that it doesn’t have health problems down the road.
- Purchase a start up kit rather than each item individually. You can check sites such as eBay and Craigslist to check for used tanks.
- Local reptile shows can have these leopards available for sale as well. Consider going to one of these local shows to talk with a breeder.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|