How Much Does a Local Newspaper Advertising Cost?
Local newspaper advertising is an advertising method that businesses use to advertise their products or services in order to attract potential customers. Although the popularity of newspapers has fallen because of the popularity of the internet and television, there are many people who still prefer the newspaper and a cup of coffee in the morning. There are many different types of advertisements that you can put in a newspaper. These can vary in size as well as the number of words. It may contain a picture or it may have text only.
How much does it cost?
- When it comes to local newspaper advertising, there are many ways to advertise. For example, a small classified ad could cost $0.10 to $0.40 per word. Display advertising, on the other hand, is based on the “column inch.” Typically, a column could range anywhere from 1 to 3 inches. Plan on spending upwards of $8 to $20 per column inch.
- For example, if the ad is 2″ x 2″, this would 4 column inches. If the company charged $15 per column inch, your total would be $60.
- Entrepreneur.com explains in full detail the costs that are related to the advertising expenses in the newspapers. In a nutshell, the average cost for the local ads could be as low as $200 while for the national pages, it could reach as high as $20,000.
- Of course, if the ads are simpler and smaller for the local dailies, then the prices would be certainly cheaper.
- eHow.com states that in a tabloid newspaper daily, you can get this rate of $8 to as high as $15 in a column per inch rate.
- The bigger newspapers and magazines will certainly have a wider and broader reader’s market, but the costs that come along with it are also much larger than that of the local newspaper advertising costs. Advertising in a newspaper in Milwaukee will be much more expensive than a small town in Ohio, but the Milwaukee paper will also reach more potential customers. The costs and benefits may even out in the end.
What is going to be included?
- If you want to buy ad space in the local newspaper, then you will be given the space that is based on the costs you are paying. Commonly, for $15 you will get one column of an inch in the classifieds where you can display your ads. However, for the bigger spaces for the ads, you would expect to pay a little higher. On the other hand, when you do get the space that is in accordance to your needs, you are given the freedom to display the ad that you want.
- Purchasing advertising space in a newspaper also comes with proper placement. For example, if you are selling something, your ad will go in the classifieds section. If your business offers something having to do with sports, it will be placed in the sports section.
What are the extra costs?
- Typically, you may need to pay for the graphic artists who will be creating the actual display. The best artists in the market will cost money, and it would be wise to choose one that has already been established as a proven marketer.
- Distribution costs would also be expected. Typically, it is already the daily newspapers that will be doing the distributing, but it would certainly help if you do your part in letting people know what you are doing.
- You also might be paying a little extra when you choose a day where the daily will be in demand. For instance, placing an ad in the Sunday paper will be more expensive than that of a weekday paper.
Factors that influence the price:
- The location and market of the local daily would be a major factor that will affect the price of the ads.
- The space width and length would also be elements that will affect the costs and prices of the local newspaper ads. If the size is not a factor, the number of words will be.
- The bigger the newspaper or the daily tabloid in terms of demand, the higher the costs of the ads that you will be posting.
Tips to know:
- If you decide on the local newspaper ads, it is best to go directly to the publication rather than going through the process with an agency. It is always best to avoid the agencies as there will be added mark-ups when you do.
- Commit to specific volume ads all throughout the year as this will certainly lower the overall cost of the ads. Dailies appreciate the fact there are ads to post in the next few months.
- When you advertise in the paper, you can offer specials such as a coupon code or a special deal given if the paper is brought in. This way, you will know if your newspaper ads are paying off or not.
How can I save money?
- The best way you can save money is to ensure that you measure results from the ads. Usually, when you are not measuring the results, you may end up paying for ads that get you nothing in return. Therefore, you need to make sure that the ads on the local newspapers are working to your advantage and are helping you to increase your profits and sales.
- The more often you run the ad, the more you can save per ad. Most local newspapers are more than happy to offer discounts.