How Much Do Log Cabin Kits Cost?
A log cabin kit is just as it sounds – a kit that includes supplies and instructions that you need to build a log cabin. People who love the outdoors will certainly fall in love with the right log cabin. With the best log cabin kits on the market, you are given this ability to build your dream log cabin from scratch without any hassles. These kits will act as your guides, and you will be given every opportunity to choose a design and pattern for the log cabin that is according to your needs and preferences. From the floor panels down to the beam ceilings, the kits will be there to guide and support your ambition to own a log cabin for your great outdoor adventures.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the square footage, log cabin kits can cost anywhere from $30 to $50 per square feet.
- According to the website Voices.Yahoo.com, the price and cost of the log cabin kits are worth it only if you plan to build the log cabin on your own. If you plan to hire someone to build it for you, it will be cheaper to simply let that company get its own supplies.
- The overall cost of the kit will cost an average of $50,000 for the most complex and stylish cabin designs.
- Panelconcepts.com showcases different cabin designs, and their economy cabins have this range of around $3,359 for the rafters per square foot while the roofing will have this $463 for the shingles per square foot.
- Loghomebuilders.org states that the log cabin kits could be built for as low as $7500 as long as you have the right ideas and materials on hand.
- The kits are for the do it yourself market, and this means that you save on the costs in hiring contractors to build the log cabin for you.
What is going to be included?
- If you do decide on the purchase of the log cabin kits, then you will end up with the style that you want. Typically, when you do buy the kits, you are buying the materials that go along with it. This can include the floor panels, timber for the walls, beams, and other essentials will be a part of the package. Generally, the kits will come with the walls and floors pre-assembled, and this leaves you free to just place the framing together to come up with the best design. Of course, the log cabin kits will come with the instruction manuals on how to go along with the process.
- Depending on the kit, these cabins can be built in anywhere from 5 days to as long as 6 months. This time frame will also depend on your skills in this type of project.
What are the extra costs?
- Incidental costs are to be expected, and this means extra screws or other raw materials.
- Tools and equipment would also be expected as extra expenses for the construction. In addition, you might be expected to have to pay for the permits and licenses to build the log cabin. These costs will depend upon the city in which you live.
- Additional windows and other home fixtures will also be additional costs that you will have in building your own log cabin.
- If you do not know the do it yourself steps, then you might need the assistance of builders. Even if you only want a consultation to give you direction, you will be charged for these services.
- If the land has not yet been purchased, this should be considered as well. SEE: “How much does an acre of land cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- The complexity of the style and design will affect the overall costs that you have for the log cabin costs. If you want to create a unique design, you might expect to pay more when it comes to the construction.
- The type of foundation is another aspect that might affect the overall costing of the log cabins kits.
- Finishing is also another element that will affect the log cabin kits. This includes things such as doors and windows, furnishings, kitchens, etc.
- There are many type of wood that can be used. Each can give the log cabin a slightly different look.
Tips to know:
- Research the styles and designs that you want rather than sticking to the first one that you find.
- Find a brand or kit provider that will give you all the features in just one package.
- The kits are meant for do it yourself projects, and if you plan to use a contractor then it is a waste of time to buy a kit.
How can I save money?
- The best way for you to save money on a log cabin kit is to buy it from a reliable source. Quality is of the utmost important when it comes to the kit, and this will certainly help prevent you from buying additional materials and tools as everything is already provided in the kit.
- You may find that some kits actually cost more than buying a cabin that is already built. Make sure that you compare both the kits and cabins for sale before making a decision.