How Much Does a Maid Service Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
We all don’t have time to clean. If you have an office, or a home that needs to be clean, a maid service may be needed. Maid service pricing is going to vary on a few factors such as the size of the location (square footage), the frequency needed and more.
How much do maids cost?
- On average, the cost of maid service will be anywhere from $15 to $25 an hour. This is going to be per maid. If more than one maid is going to do the job, then you would take the hourly rate mentioned above and multiply it by the amount of maids showing up. For example, 2 maids at $25 an hour would result in a $50 per hour service charge.
- A 1,000 square foot home can cost an owner anywhere from $70 to $175 a job.
- A 2,000 square foot home can range anywhere from $140 to as much as $300+
- For additional services such as laundry and more will more than likely be $15+ an hour.
- Major services such as Molly Maid charge as much as $80 per hour.
- There are other services that may charge based on a room. Three bedrooms could cost $20 each, or $60 for all. These types of pricing plans are ideal for those who only want certain rooms cleaned during a session.
What is going to be included?
- With most services, Maids will vacuum, dust, make the beds, clean bathrooms, sanitize areas, clean mirrors as well as do other things such as ceiling fans and more. MaidBrigade.com has a list of what they generally do on a house call.
- Many services will have premium services such as cleaning walls, washing all the windows in the home, as well as cleaning kitchen appliances such as refrigerators and more.
What are the extra costs?
- Window cleaning and wall cleaning are usually considered premium services. These usually aren’t included in the typical weekly / bi-weekly plan.
- Other tasks such as laundry, miscellaneous errands as well as items outside of the company’s guidelines will cost extra.
- Having pets in the home can bring up the price sometimes, depending on the company.
- Other premium services such as oven and refrigerator cleaning can result in additional fees that generally start at $20 per job.
- Most maid services are going to have a minimum cleaning fee that can start at 2 hours and go up from there. Travel expenses can be additional depending on how far the maid has to drive.
- While optional, it doesn’t hurt to tip your maid if you continue to use them on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.
Tips to know:
- When hiring a cleaning service, be sure to ask if they are certified and insured. While franchise companies can be a good way to go, many individuals are going to be a lot cheaper since they can bypass the advertising and franchise fees.
- Always ask for references. It’s best to know what this maid has done in the past. Most good cleaning services are going to either have a waiting list or won’t accept new clients at all.
- If you’re going to leave the maid unattended, let them know that you have surveillance. Even if you don’t, this will prevent them from trying to attempt any illegal activity.
Pros of a maid service:
- Peace of Mind: It’s a great feeling to come home and just know that your home is clean. This is just one less worry. Highly ideal for those who have larger families, jobs and younger children that are attending school.
- Free Time: Cleaning takes up a lot more time than you think. By hiring a maid, this could free up hours throughout the week. The larger your home is, the more you will be able to save in time.
- Keeping Things in Shape: By knowing that the maids are coming in, you can be assured that everything will be kept in tip top shape. By keeping things clean, you will know that things such as home appliances, toilets and sinks will be in working order.
Cons of a maid service:
- Revolving Door: Major maid services will contract out local help. If you don’t hire an individual, you may find that you could have a new cleaner every few months.
- The Job: Some maids are going to do better jobs than others. When explaining your job, just make sure that you tell them in detail what you want to have done.
- Expectations: Don’t set your expectations high. The maid isn’t going to get on their feet to scrub the tile with a toothbrush.
How can I save money?
- The longer you book service, the more you’re going to be able to save. Some will give heavy discounts when you pay in advance.
- Compare a few companies in your area. Services such as Service Magic will allow you to get quotes from contractors in your area.
- Find college kids that are in your subdivision. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at what they can offer you when they are going to school. It’s easy to save up to 50% if choosing this route.
- Post an ad on local classified ads. You will be amazed at what people will clean your house for. Before you let someone in your home, though, it’s best to check their references to make sure that they have a clean background. It’s also wise to be home at all times when they are cleaning your home.
- Major chains will always cost more than an individual. It’s best to bypass the chains and hire direct in your local town.