How Much Do Maine Coon Cats Cost?
The Main Coon cat is quite different compared to your every day domesticated cats. One of the oldest breeds in the United States, this cat is native to the state of Maine. Known for it’s larger bone structure and body shape, the Maine Coon can be found in various colors. The cat can weigh anywhere from 10 to as much as 30 pounds. The cost of an adult cat, or even a kitten, is going to vary depending on a few various factors.
How much is it?
- Adoption for a kitten is going to vary anywhere from $400 to as much as $900. For a cat that is capable of being shown at a show, the numbers can get close to the $1,000 mark.
- An older cat that is over 1-2 years old can cost anywhere from $100 to $300. Generally, the cheaper the cat is, the less likely it’s going to be able to be shown at a show.
What are the extra costs?
- As with any cat that is purchased, many accessories are going to be required in order to ensure that the cat lives a long, healthy life. Food, litter, toys, scratching posts, and many other things will be required. Start-up costs for a cat will usually start around $100.
- Most breeders will have your kitten/cat up to date with it’s shots. This doesn’t mean that the cat won’t need any other health checkups in the future. Typical vet visits are going to range anywhere from $40 to $100 for the exam alone. Shots, surgeries and more will all be additional in pricing.
- If the cat hasn’t been neutered or fixed, this will cost an additional $200 or more.
What is going to be included?
- Most breeders will include any paperwork that is deemed necessary to prove that the cat is registered and is a legitimate Maine Coon. Be sure to ask for all of this paperwork.
- Some adoption agencies will include sample start-up packs. These start-up packages can include everything from toys to cat food. Your results may vary.
Tips to know:
- While cat declawing is an option for cats, there are many alternatives such as clippers that can be rather easy to do with a simple squeeze of the paw, the nails can be filed down.
- Gingivitis can be a rather big problem for cats. It’s recommended that toothpaste made for cats is purchased to ensure that something such as this is prevented.
- While cats don’t like baths, they can be trained to like one. Maine Coon cats tend to be rather laid back with their lifestyle. With their thicker coat, a bath may be recommended every so often to ensure that their hair stays clean.
How can I save money?
- Many adoption agencies have Maine Coon cats that need a good home. Adopting from these centers can help you save a good amount of money.
- Compare pricing in your local area. PetFinder can help you find a cat that suits your needs. By purchasing one locally, it not only gives you the opportunity to look at it, one can avoid the travel fees via an airline.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|