How Much Does a Master Cylinder Cost?
An integral part of the breaking mechanism of any automobile is the master cylinder. This device converts the motion of the brake pedal into a hydraulic pressure. A master cyliner is mostly responsible for pushing the brake pads towards the surface that rotates with the wheel until it creates friction which stops the vehicle. Different vehicle types and models have different master cylinder models, and this can greatly affect the price.
How much does master cylinder repair cost?
- Different cars have different master cylinder models that fit. The average price for one device can range from $40 to $220. This won’t include the professional labor costs.
- Clutch master cylinders used for a 1992 to 2000 Honda Civic are priced anywhere from $30 to $50. Older model Honda Civic from 1988 to 1995 can cost $30 to $46.
- The Dodge Caravan is a popular vehicle, and the brake master cylinder for this vehicle can be purchased from $45 to $60.
- Volkswagen vehicles command high price for their brake and clutch master cylinders. They can range from $120 to $160.
- Master cylinders are not only used for automobiles; they are used in other types of vehicles such as a tractor. The price for a pulling tractor’s master cylinder is anywhere between $320 and $440.
What are the extra costs?
- It may necessary to buy other parts to attach the master cylinder in a vehicle. These parts are necessary in the clutch and braking mechanism of the vehicle. The price depends on the type of part you will need to purchase, as well as if the vehicle needs to have these parts replaced.
- A professional mechanic can install a master cylinder for $100 to $300 depending on the complexity of the job and the model of the car. This labor estimate can greatly rise if other problems are found or if parts need to be installed/replaced.
What is going to be included?
- The complete set of a master cylinder will be included with your purchase. It is a single device that you need to install in a vehicle.
- A limited manufacture warranty may be included that can last up to a lifetime.
- The master cylinder is what generates the hydraulic pressure in order to slow down a car when traveling. This particular part is located right inside of the engine compartment.
Top brands to consider:
- Beck Arnely
How can I save money?
- Try to buy OEM parts as they are made by the car’s manufacturer. These parts can provide additional warranty in case of breakage. This means that the longer you can use the part, the more money you can save since there are fewer needs to replace the part.
- Consider replacing this part yourself. If you have worked on cars before, you may find that installing a new master cylinder won’t be as hard as you think. Consider grabbing a friend and installing it in an afternoon. By installing it yourself, you’ll be able to save upwards of $500 on the job.
- Check your warranty to see if the car is still covered. If the master cylinder needs to be replaced because of a faulty part, it may be covered.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|