How Much Does Maxillofacial Surgery Cost?
Maxillofacial surgery is a type of surgery which focuses on issues around the mouth, jaw, and neck. It is one of the nine specialties of dentistry and is usually suggested if an issue in the mouth proves to be too hard to correct with orthodontics or basic dental procedures. Some of the illnesses treated by maxillofacial surgery involve the removal of impacted wisdom teeth, address facial pain, and fix jaw deformities. The price for maxillofacial surgery depends on the location where the surgery will be performed as well as the ability of the surgeon performing the procedure.
How much is it?
- On average, this surgery is going to cost anywhere from $1,800 to as much as $4,000 for the incorporation of the braces alone. According to PlasticSurgeons.com, the entire surgery itself can cost upwards of $19,000 to $32,000.
- Location plays a huge role in the price of maxillofacial surgery. For example, in New York, this type of surgery can cost anywhere from $22,200 to $33,300. In the state of Chicago, maxillofacial surgery can cost anywhere from $19,600 to $22,000.
- Insurance companies may cover the procedure. Check your policy to see if a procedure such as this one can be covered. Since this surgery is considered to be cosmetic most of the time, most insurance companies will more than likely won’t cover it.
What is going to be included?
- Before the procedure starts, a patient will be put under general anesthesia. A lower portion of the bone will then be separated and moved to the appropriate spot. It can either be moved forward or backward. This is going to all depend on what the patient needs to have done. Some procedures may also require that the jaw is moved into many separate parts. The average stay in the hospital is around one day.
- Depending on the arrangements that you make with the physician, hospital fees and the surgeon’s professional fee may be included with the payment, as well as the administration of the anesthesia. Each hospital is going to be different with its inclusions. It is best to call to ensure that you know what’s covered.
- An initial diagnosis by the dentist will be included. Doctors will usually recommend the best course of action before performing the surgery.
What are the extra costs?
- Anesthesia will be needed to lessen the pain felt during the surgery. This can cost anywhere from $650 to $1,100.
- Hospital fees that includes the use of facilities can reach $1,000 to $1,500. Surgeons can command professional fee anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. An overnight stay at the hospital can cost $650 to $1,300 per night on average.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices with different medical institutions. Some hospitals can offer low prices for premium services offered by others at a higher price. Don’t be too cheap as you may get what you pay for.
- Check with your medical provider if the procedure is covered by the plan that took from them. This will allow you to undergo the procedure with minimal expense or you may not have to put out money at all. If you don’t have health insurance, use services such as eHealthInsurance to find a policy.