How Much Does a Metal Detector Cost?
A metal detector is an electronic device that can respond to metal that is not detectable by the human eye. Using an oscillator, the metal detector will produce a current that can measure metallic objects. Invented in the early 1960’s, a metal detector can detect things such as a weapons, coins, and jewelry. They are commonly used on beaches where people check for lost jewelry and money. They can also be used by historians to find artifacts and things of value. The cost of one is going to depend on the brand, the type, as well as features.
How much is it?
- On average, a metal detector can cost anywhere from $45 to as much as $1,500. A common hobby metal detector that is used by amateurs can cost $45 to $250, while an advanced setup can cost anywhere from $900 to $1,500.
- An underwater metal detector will cost anywhere from $200 to as much as $1,500. As the name states, the detector can be used for searching dirt and soil underwater.
- A kid’s metal detector can cost $15 to $100. These detectors will usually be on the lower end and meant to be used for entertainment value.
- The popular Bounty Hunter TK4-PL retails for $90 to $125. This detector in particular detects all types of metals and comes equipped with an 8 inch search coil.
- A higher end detector such as the Garret GTI 2500 Metal Detector retails for $900 to $1,100.
- A simple detector designed for children can cost anywhere from $15 to $90.
What are the extra costs?
- Since most metal detectors are wireless, alkaline batteries will be required. Most detectors will require a 9 volt battery. Prices will vary depending on what battery is required.
- Attachments such as headphones can help the user hear sounds when in a noisy place or assist those that are hard of hearing. Headphones can start at $15.
- While optional, a carrying bag can protect the metal detector from damage when transporting.
- Larger coils can be purchased for some specific models. These coils will allow the user to reach a larger range while using it.
- Additional study materials such as books and DVDs on how to find specific metals can start at $5. For example, the popular book Metal Detecting for the Beginner retails for $9 to $13.
What is going to be included?
- Major brands will come with a limited warranty that can last upwards of 5 years and protects the user from general defects.
- Metal detectors will have a coil that measures a certain diameter. Common measurements include 4, 6, and 8 inches. Running on a wireless 9 volt battery, a simple switch can be turned on. Once metal is detected, the indicator will detect with a frequency telling the user approximately how deep the metal is and even what type of object it may be. This will depend on the model.
Tips to know:
- Know how you’re going to search with this detector. Searching for gold is going to be a lot different than searching for some sort of relic.
- The size is going to matter. When purchasing a detector with a smaller coil, these can tend to be more sensitive to objects around while a larger coil can search deeper into the ground, but for larger objects only.
How can I save money?
- Highly consider purchasing a used metal detector if purchasing a detector that is over the price of $300. Used ones on sites such as Craigslist and eBay can commonly be purchased for less than 50% of the retail price.