How Much Does A Metal Roof Cost?
A metal roof, also called a tin roof, is a type of a roofing system which is made of metal pieces or tiles. A metal roof has many advantages such as durability, portability, hail and wind resistance, and being environmentally friendly since metal is easily recyclable. This is one of the reasons why plenty of US homes are switching to this type of roofing system. The cost of a metal roof is going to depend on the brand, the durability of the material, as well as other factors.
How much does a metal roof cost?
- On average, the cost of metal roofing can range anywhere from $400 to $1,200 per roof square depending on the type of roof. Compared to a traditional shingle roof, a metal roof can cost two to three times more. A roof square equals 100 square feet of the roofing surface.
- Per square foot, plan on spending around $6 to $15. This will greatly depend on the quality of the metal and the contractor installing it. The slope and brand of metal roofing can influence the price too.
- For example, a 20 square roof home could cost anywhere from $8,000 to $24,000 for both the materials and labor.
- A G-90 steel inter-locking shingle roof system retails for $750 per square. A stone coated steel roof can cost anywhere from $300 to $500 per square. Aluminum shingles, one of the most popular types of material, can cost upwards of $400 to $600 per square.
- NewEnglandMetalRoof.com provides information on the basics of metal roofing installation as well as what it is going to cost. The price for a metal roof according to this site can be fall between$350 and $1,100 per roofing square.
- MetalRoofManufacturers.com also lists prices for metal roofs. On their site, they mention at least 3 types of metal used for roofing. These materials include steel, aluminum, and copper. Their prices range from $300 to $1,000 per roofing square.
What are the extra costs?
- Metal roofing is not easy to install and you may require the assistance of a professional installer. Depending on the job, many contractors are going to vary with their pricing structure. Some may charge by the hour, while others will charge by the job. On average, set aside $3 to $7 per square foot for a professional installation job.
What is going to be included?
- The manufacturer may include free shipping of the product to your location. If you meet the minimum purchase requirement for purchasing metal roofs, you will be eligible for this service.
- Many metal branded roofs include a limited warranty that can last up to or more than 50 years.
- The great thing about a metal roof is that a contractor generally doesn’t have to remove the older shingles. It’s not uncommon to have a metal roof installed on top of older asphalt shingles.
Tips to know:
- People often think that metal roofs are quite noisy when it rains. This isn’t the case, though. While the roof is made of metal, it won’t be any noisier than other roofing materials.
- Another common misconception is that a metal roof can rust over time. While some cheaply made roofs can rust, it’s best to look for those that have a limited warranty for a long period of time. It’s best to stand by a product that carries a warranty of at least 25 years.
- Metal roofs won’t attract lightning. Lightning only strikes the highest point, regardless of the material. Studies have shown that a metal roof can prevent damage by dissipating electrical charges.
- Installing a metal roof can bring down your homeowner’s insurance policy by more than 30 percent. There are also tax credits available for those who install them as well. Each state will vary with their own policies.
Pros of a metal roof:
- Great Looks: From a distance, there are times when you won’t even know that a home has a metal roof. Like shingles, metal roofs can come in all sorts of colors and sizes.
- Durable: As noted throughout this guide, a metal roof can last as long as a lifetime. Why worry about replacing your roof every 10 to 15 years when you can have a metal roof installed and not have to worry about it at all?
- Great Value: Do the math now. The up front costs are higher, but you will find that over time, you will come out ahead.
How can I save money?
- Having a metal roof installed on your house can be pricey, but this can also allow you to save money in the future. Since a metal roof usually lasts from 30 to 50 years, it is considered a good investment. In fact, some metal roofs can last as long as a lifetime!
- Try to compare prices between different stores to see if you can find a seller that can offer the metal roof at a low price. Use websites such as Service Magic to find the best quotes in your area.
- There are many resources online that can help you with installation of a metal roof. This is a great way to save on the installation costs.