How Much Does the MFI Program Cost?
The MFI, or Made For Ipod, program allows companies other than Apple the opportunity to manufacture items and accessories that work for the iPod, iPad, andiPhone. Apple has made several successful products because of the creativity and inventiveness that goes into their products. Many of their products are quite ahead of their time; however, they are very user-friendly. Apple has sold millions of these devices, so it is no wonder that several other companies would like capitalize on this opportunity. The MFI program guarantees that only accessories which pass the Apple standard of quality are manufactured for each device. The MFI program is very helpful in identifying the electronic accessories that are compatible with Apple devices for the safety of the device itself.
How much is it?
- The cost of the MFI program will depend on the type of accessory that the company intends to manufacture for Apple devices. There have been recent changes in how the fee for the program is collected; there used to be a 10% fee off of the retail price of the electronic device sold. Now, however, according to the site Macnn.com, Apple will simply collect a flat fee of $4 for every electronic accessory sold.
What is going to be included?
- There are several inclusions when you sign up for the MFI program. Apple will provide several tools that can help companies who are signing up for the program, such as suggestions and helpful hints for manufacturing certain accessories.
- Apple issues usage guidelines for the different devices that they sell. These are for the iPod, iPad and iPhone devices.
- The MFI program also provides the different manufacturers different artwork for multiple Apple devices.
- To provide credibility for the accessories that will be made for Apple devices, Apple will provide compatibility icons.
- Full technical information of the different devices will be provided to accessory manufacturers so they can gain more knowledge and understanding about the structure of the product.
- Apple will offer exclusive technical support for the companies that sign up for this program.
What are the extra costs?
- When a company gets a MFI program, there is not much in terms of additional costs except for the amount of licensing fees that needs to be paid for every piece of product sold.
Tips to know:
- Getting the advantage of having electronic accessories sealed with a “Made For iPod” logo guarantees consumers that the product has passed the standards set by Apple. This assures customers that the product will be safe to use on the Apple device for which it was designed.
- Companies should make durable high end products since they need to uphold Apple’s standards, which are high. This way, they will be able to charge premium prices for their products.
How can I save money?
- Getting the MFI program will enable companies to earn more since the product will be more attractive to consumers because of this. Companies need to make quality products so that they will be able to sell them at premium prices, which will enable them to save since the fee for the program is $4 no matter how much the value of the accessory is.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|