How Much Does a Minecraft Server Cost?
Minecraft is an open world sandbox game created and developed by a single person, Notch. The game has no specific goals or quests for the player to accomplish; this allows the player to choose how they want to interact with the world. Minecraft has an achievement system in order for the player to keep track of what they have accomplished or what they can accomplish in the future. The creativity and freedom of Minecraft attracted lots of gamers into playing it, thus making it one of the most popular games of the contemporary time.
How much is it?
- Minecraft can be bought from the official site for just $25. Buying the game is simple. All you have to do is register on the official Minecraft website and the user interface of the site will guide you into making the online purchase. You also have the option of buying the game in the form of a gift code, making it the perfect gift for your friends or family members.
- However, if you want to enhance your multiplayer experiences in Minecraft, you may want to pay a company for hosting your multiplayer world. Hosting a Minecraft server will cost you about $3 to $100 every month. The costs will heavily depend upon the number of players that you want to join the server. A four-person server could cost $7 per month, while a 16-player server could cost upwards of $20 per month. If you want to host unlimited players, it could cost upwards of $100 per month.
- According to mmomeltingpot.com, they claim that you should be prepared to spend $7 a month for a four-person server and around $18 per month for a 16-person server.
- Mcprohosting.com, for example, offers a variety of plans that range from as little $2.50 to as much as $80 per month.
|8||$5 to $10|
|12||$10 to $17|
|15||$13 to $20|
|20||$17 to $30|
|Unlimited||$30 to $60+ (depends
What is going to be included?
- By buying the game you will get free updates and patches for the game until it is fully developed. The officially bought game also supports multiplayer, making it possible for you to enjoy the game with your friends and family. Minecraft servers can accommodate lots of players in multiplayer worlds, making it possible for you to have large role-playing games with your friends.
- A minecraft server can include thousands of add-ons, which are ready to be installed on your server.
- The server will have a certain number of slots.
- A minecraft server will be up 24/7 and players will be able to access it whenever they need to. Most servers will be able to be set up within minutes.
What are the extra costs?
- As stated above, the more people you want to have on your server, the more you are going to pay.
- In order to run a server and play the game online, you will need to have internet access. This is usually a monthly payment to your local high speed internet provider.
Tips to know:
- There is a difference between a multiplayer game and playing on a server. Make sure you know exactly what you want from the game before deciding.
- There are plenty of minecraft servers that you can join for free. However, when joining another server, there are a lot of disadvantages. For starters, the server will not be under your control. With that being said, the admin can boot you or even ask for donations to allow you to play. Secondly, if you built something that you enjoyed and that particular server disappeared, your hard work could be gone. Lastly, a public server is just that — public. This allows strangers to come in and harass, smash your stuff and annoy you while playing. Running your own server will allow you to control things like this and to only invite certain people to play.
How can I save money?
- A good way of saving money is hosting the server by yourself and talking to your friends so you can all agree on a time interval when you all get online and play. You friends may even be willing to split the cost of the server with you since each person is getting the benefits of it.
- Other good ways of saving money are searching for the cheapest, most convenient hosting services and buying hosting for an extended period so you may get a discount. Shop around and compare rates with at least three to five different companies. Most server companies are more than happy to give you quotes directly on their page.
- While you can host a server by yourself without any cost, there are some disadvantages by doing it. The biggest disadvantage of being the host of the multiplayer game is that when you shut down your PC, your friends can no longer play on the multiplayer world. So by investing in a paid host, your game will have 100% uptime.