How Much Does a Mini Fridge Cost?
A mini fridge is capable of doing everything that a full size fridge can, but it is the perfect size for a dorm room or even a bar area since it does not take up as much space and can even sit on a countertop. This is an ideal way to store drinks, snacks and any type of food that needs to be cooled. The price of a mini fridge will depend on the brand of the fridge, the size, its features and where it’s purchased from.
How much is it?
- On average, a mini fridge can cost anywhere from $80 to as much as $900. The most common sizes in which a fridge can be made are 1.7, 2.5, 3.6 and 5.5 cubic feet.
- The average 1.7 cubic foot refrigerator can retail for $80 to $200. A slightly larger refrigerator such as a 2.5 cubic foot can retail for $100 to $250.
- A 3.6 cubic foot fridge can cost anywhere between $180 to $600, while a 5.5 cubic foot fridge can cost upwards of $400 to $900.
- For example, the highly rated Danby DAR195BL that is 1.8 cubic feet retails for $119 to $135.
- A smaller USB fridge that connects to your computer can normally store just one soda can. This type of fridge can range anywhere from $10 to $30.
What are the extra costs?
- For those that want to lock the fridge to protect its contents, a padlock is highly recommended. A lock can cost anywhere from $20 to as much as $50 depending upon the quality and brand. This is especially recommended for those that store alcoholic beverages.
- Plan on spending a few extra dollars a month on your electric bill if it is going to be placed in a home or office. Experts claim that is can cost upwards of $40 a year to operate one.
What is going to be included?
- A typical mini fridge will have a certain capacity that can store an array of items. Depending upon the space, each fridge will be able to accommodate different items.
- There are very few mini fridges available that have a freezer section; more will only have one compartment which is the fridge.
- Special features such a cycle defrost and beverage dispenser is rather common with these types of appliances.
Tips to know:
- A mini fridge really is not ideal for storing a lot of food. Instead, plan on using it for something such as storing drinks and even leftover food from the night before. Since the space is rather limited, cramming the thing will prevent it from working efficiently.
- If you are going to get this for your dorm room, make sure that your college allows this type of thing. Many dorm rooms ban the use of smaller appliances such as a mini fridge or microwave.
- There are more types of refrigerators than people realize. In fact, there are refrigerators that you can plug into your car’s adapter and there are even some that can plug directly into your computer.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a mini fridge used. If you are going to purchase it used, just make sure that you ensure that it works before purchasing. These refrigerators can often be found on websites such as Craigslist.org.
- Appliance stores often offer these refrigerators at a steep discount during the off season or on older models. Consider purchasing a model from last year to save a few extra dollars.