How Much Does Mitral Valve Surgery Cost?
The mitral valve is one of the parts of the heart through which our blood flows with each beat. Every part of the body, every organ is an important component and plays a crucial role in making the body function normally. Unfortunately, we can experience several changes in the body this can cause it to be subjected to wear and tear. The heart is probably the most important organ in the body since it is vital to the blood flow throughout the body. The blood goes through the different parts of the heart which include the mitral valve. There is a chance that the mitral valve can leak and mitral valve surgery would be necessaryin this case. Mitral valve surgery attempts to repair or replace the mitral valve.
How much is it?
- The price of getting mitral valve surgery would depend on many different factors. The geographical location of the hospital that will perform the surgery makes a difference for the price of the surgery. This type of surgery is considered to be a major surgery and can be life altering, so the surgeon that will perform the surgery should be of great reputation.
- On average, mitral valve surgery can cost anywhere from $11,000 to as much as $40,000 without any sort of health insurance. This is the price for the surgery only and will not include additional factors such as hospital stays, medication, surgeon fees, and more. The total cost of the surgery can range from $40,000 to as much as $200,000 total
- Patients that have health insurance policies will finusually be covered since this is a life-saving procedure. The cost of the surgery with insurance will all depend upon the deductibles and co-pays of your insurance plan.
- Heart-Valve-Surgery.com is a website that provides information about the pricing of mitral valve surgery. According to the site, the cost to have this surgery ranges from $11,600 to $14,400.
- ColumbiaSurgery.org is a hospital that has a patented bow tie procedure which can take about 45 minutes to perform. The mitral valve surgery performed in this hospital can cost $10,000 to $15,000. This is much less time and money compared to traditional methods which take 4 hours and can cost up to $40,000.
What is going to be included?
- There are several things that need to be considered before the mitral valve surgery is performed. The diagnosis will be given by the doctor based on history and previous tests performed such as chest x ray and ECG. The patient’s medical history will also provide helpful insights on what the patient has experienced before.
- You will need to stay in the hospital after the surgery is completed. The doctor will monitor you from time to time and your vitals will be checked constantly to monitor the progress of your recovery.
What are the extra costs?
- After the surgery has been performed, the patient needs to stay in the hospital and will have to pay for the room in which he stays. There are some hospitals that would include the fee for the room in a package with the surgery. Each night spent in the hospital can cost may also require a separate fee. Surgeon’s fees can start at $5,000 and go up from there.
- The doctor will also prescribe medicines that can help with the recovery process. It should be noted that these medicines should be taken strictly as the doctors prescribe them since they are able to maintain the current condition of the heart after the surgery if taken as directed.
Tips to know:
- Know the symptoms of several heart diseases and have yourself checked annually to identify any condition that you may suspect could be present. This will prevent the condition from worsening and it will help you prevent any serious heart conditions in the future.
How can I save money?
- Your insurance company will be able to provide assistance with the total cost of the surgery. All you need to do is to coordinate with them and ask what they can cover. This will depend on the policy you have through the insurance provider. If you do not have insurance, highly consider getting a policy through services such as eHealthInsurance.com.
- Considering that this procedure is a major surgery, you can expect to spend a lot to correct the condition. One way to save money is to make sure that you have checked with the different hospitals in the area and compared the prices they offer.
- While risky, those that do not have insurance can consider having the surgery done in countries such as India. If taking this route, be sure to proceed at your own risk.
- The best way to save money on heart procedures is take care of yourself on a daily basis. Those who live an active, healthy lifestyle are a lot less likely to develop heart conditions.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|