How Much Does a Murphy Bed Cost?
A Murphy bed, also known as a wall bed, pull down bed, hide-a-bed, or fold-down bed, is a functional piece of furniture that can convert any room of your home into a bedroom in an instant. It is hinged at one end to allow vertical storage against the wall or inside a cabinet or closet without interference to the valuable room space. If you have a small home or apartment, a Murphy bed is a great way to utilize the space that you do have.
You can lower a Murphy bed from its vertical position when you want to use it, and lift it back up when not in use, allowing you to use one room for multiple purposes.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the brand and size of the mattress, the average cost of a murphy bed is going to be between $250 and $1,400. This is the price for the bed alone. When installation is factored in, be sure to add another additional $500 to $1,000. A good, popular bed can often cost upwards of $2,000 when installation is included. Some beds, however, do not need to be installed, but rather, they are built into a cabinet that can simply be aligned against a wall.
- For example, Murphybedsdirect.com offers a variety of beds that range anywhere from $265 to as much as $1,000. For instance, their twin mechanism bed retails for $265, while their queen mechanism and foundation retails for $385.
- Murphybedcompany.com has wide selection of beds that can cost anywhere from $600 to as much as $1,300. A side twin bed retails for $720 while a side double bed retails for $860. The most expensive bed – the California king bed – retails for $1,280.
What is going to be included?
- When buying a Murphy bed, you must first take into consideration the mechanism used, which is an essential element of the bed’s construction and structure. You have to determine whether you want the spring mechanism or the piston mechanism. You will also have to decide on its mounting options: whether you want it mounted to the floor or to the wall.
- A murphy bed can come in a twin, double, queen or king. It can either tilt on its side or vertically.
- Murphy beds are most commonly found in studio apartments. This is a great way to not only save room, but to hide the bedroom and keep the apartment looking clean and neat.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping from either a local furniture company or online distributor can cost $50 to $125 on average.
- If the bed needs to be installed within a wall, this is an additional cost to consider. This is often less than $800.
- Adding cabinets and storage around the bed to blend in can add to the costs. The price will greatly depend on how many cabinets, the type of wood, etc. This is a great option to have since it can provide a place to store your clothes much like a dresser in a traditional bedroom.
Factors that influence the price:
- The prices of Murphy beds vary according to model, size and type of material used.
- Prices also fluctuate from one company to another since each has its unique policies, product quality, and overhead expenses to recoup.
- Prices can drop dramatically especially during special sales.
Tips to know:
- Choosing a locally-based company to supply you with the Murphy bed you want allows you to visit its showroom and view or test the product personally before placing an order.
- Inspect your Murphy bed as soon as you receive it and while the delivery personnel are present, so that, in case of damage, you can readily make a claim for it.
- A Murphy bed is also a great idea if you want to have an extra bed for guests to sleep in when they visit your home.
How can I save money?
- Watch out for company sales promotions and or coupons. Whether it is online at a local store, youa re bound to find a sale sooner or later.
- Compare the prices online and in the local stores and decide which method of purchase serves you best. Take into consideration the cost of shipping, possible sales tax, and availability of service.
- For those who do not mind purchasing used can find themselves saving more than 25-50% on their purchase.
- If you do not want to install the bed directly into the wall, consider getting a bed that is built into a cabinet. This way, you can save on the professional installation costs.
- Building a murphy bed can actually bed done. Those who have a knack for building things may want to consider downloading blue prints online to build their own for a fraction of the costs mentioned above.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|