How Much Does a Name Change Cost?
Name change is the process of legally changing a person’s name or adopting a name different than the name given at birth, marriage, or adoption. People have their name changed due to several reasons. It can be for a simple reason of not liking their name since its embarrassing or maybe because it’s misspelled. Other reasons may include religious, political statement, transgender name changes and changing a child’s name to a father or mother’s last name. The price of changing a name is different for a child and an adult. The state where a person will apply for a name change may affect the price as well.
How much is it?
- Most name change prices vary depending on the state where it’s filed. Name change forms should be filled out as the first step in changing a person’s name. A name change can cost anywhere from $40 to $300 depending on the courthouse and state. A minor is going to cost less than an adult.
- For example, the name change forms from the state of Washington can cost anywhere from $80 for minors to $100 for adults. In the state of Illinois, name change can cost $40 for minors and $80 for adults. In California. for minors, the fee can start at $40 while forms for adults can be anywhere from $80 to $100.
- Using professional services such as RocketLawyer or an attorney may charge a professional fee of $110 to $300, on top of the courthouse filing fees.
What are the extra costs?
- An administrative fee of $15 to $30 is charged in cases where the person applying cancels the transaction.
- Documents can be delivered right to your doorstep. This can add an additional $8 to $16 for shipping costs.
- If there are changes to be made on the form that has been submitted, an additional amount of $25 to $50 may be charged, depending on the changes needed to be made.
- For professional prepared papers, an attorney service may be needed. An attorney will help fill out a name change form for $80 to $300.
- Some states may require an additional criminal record check that can cost upwards of $40 depending on the state’s law.
- Additional fees will incur when you change the name on your driver’s license, passport as well as other legal documents.
What is going to be included?
- The payment will include the basic service for having your name changed. Forms for wills and estate planning will be included since they need to be updated for records.
- The courthouse and attorney will give you all the paperwork necessary for personal records.
How can I save money?
- Think twice before having your name changed. There may be no reason to change your name at all. Make sure that there is a valid reason aside from aesthetics to have your name changed since it can be a waste to have your name changed for reasons other than legal purposes.
- Preparing a name change form isn’t hard at all. Instead of working with an attorney, call up your local courthouse in order to get instructions on how it can be done.
- If you’re using a lawyer to help with your name change, services such as LegalMatch can help you find a reputable lawyer in your area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|