How Much Does a Nebulizer Machine Cost?
A nebulizer machine is a device that administers medication through the air in the form of a mist. These machines are commonly used to treat asthma, cystic fibrosis, and other respiratory diseases. Using a tube, such as a mouthpiece or a face mask, the liquid medicine will be inhaled directly into the lungs. The cost of a nebulizer machine will depend on the brand, the featuresand where it’s purchased.
How much is it?
- On average, a nebulizer machine can cost anywhere from $29 to $99. A portable nebulizer can be more expensive with a price range of $150 to $900.
- For children, nebulizer machines that are shaped like animals and other various children’s designs can cost anywhere from $50 to $115.
- For example, Mountainside-Medical.com has the Respironics Inspiration Compressor that retails for $38 to $55. A portable kit through this same eCommerce store can cost between $135 to $250.
What are the extra costs?
- An additional mouthpiece and/or mask may be necessary for backup purposes. A mouthpiece and mask can start at $2 and go up from there.
- Customized accessories such as masks shaped like animals can cost more than a basic mouthpiece. For example, the Vortex Duck Mask retails for $19 to $30.
- Medication that is prescribed through the family doctor will come in a liquid form that can be poured directly into the machine. Once dispensed, the medication will turn into a mist that travels through the mouthpiece directly to the respiratory system.
- Depending on the setup of the machine, other parts such as the compressor and compressor tubing may be required in order to get the machine running properly.
What is going to be included?
- If you choose to purchase a portable nebulizer, a carrying case and power cord will be provided for charging purposes. Guides and instructional DVDs may also come included to help the user learn more about the machine and how it works.
- When the machine is on, the user will have to dispense medication into the machine. Once the medicine has been dispensed, the user will simply sit straight up in a chair, placing the mask over his/her face. Breathing in slowly, the medication can enter the system. Each treatment should take no longer than 10 minutes.
Tips to know:
- Make sure that the machine is placed on a flat surface where it can’t fall over.
- Before using this machine, always make sure that the user using it washes his/her hands thoroughly.
- Before dispensing medication, make sure that the instructions are read to ensure that it’s being used properly.
- Medication can commonly stick to the sides of the mask. If this happens, be sure to shake the mask to free any droplets on the mask.
- After each and every treatment, make sure that you wash out the mask with luke warm water.
How can I save money?
- If insured, talk with the health insurance company to see if a machine such as this one can be covered under the policy. Some health insurance policies will cover medical equipment such as this machine.
- These machines can be purchased used. However, make sure the equipment is inspected by a doctor to ensure that it is working properly.