How Much Does a Nerve Conduction Test Cost?
A nerve conduction test is performed as a way to evaluate the ability of electrical conduction of the motor and sensory nerves of the human body. This test is normally performed when the symptoms of numbness, tingling and burning sensations of the arms and the legs are experienced. The nerve conduction study consists of different components which include Motor NCS, Sensory NCS, F wave study and the H reflex study. The cost of a nerve conduction test is going to depend on the geographical location, the medical clinic performing the procedure, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, the price of a nerve conduction test is going to cost anywhere from $500 to as much as $4,000 if additional tests have to be performed. Most tests will fall in the $500-$1000 price range.
- If deemed medically necessary, check with your health insurance provider to see if they cover a procedure such as this one. If covered, the patient will only be responsible for the deductible and/or co-pay.
- A patient in Tampa Bay, Florida was charged $825 by a local doctor’s office; this was his price without insurance.
- According to the site HealthBoards.com, the price for the test can range anywhere from $700 to $800. Nextination.com provides an open discussion for individuals who have undergone the examination. The price for the examination ranges anywhere from $800 to $900.
- A medical clinic such as OneCallMedical.com shows that the exam is priced anywhere from $500 to $4,000. The site mentioned that a poorly managed test can cost a lot since the patient has to go back to the facility where the test was performed.
What are the extra costs?
- If the physician finds anything wrong with the body, medication and treatment may be needed; this can add to the overall cost.
- Additional tests may be required if the first test does not give the desired results.
What is going to be included?
- The nerve conduction study, also known as the NCS, is commonly used for those who want to evaluate the function and abilities of the electrical conduction within the human body. This test can diagnose certain diseases that are within the nerves of the body.
- The complete test will be performed by the physician depending on the type of test that will be performed. The doctor will also evaluate your body and will decide on what to do next depending on the results of the examination.
- There are many various forms of this test. These tests can include a motor, sensory, F-wave or even a h-reflex test. Each test can measure and record the muscles in the limbs.
How can I save money?
- Always check with your insurance company to see whether they cover the cost for the test. Since this is considered a necessary test, insurance providers may be able to cover up to 70% or more of the cost.
- If you do not carry insurance, consider asking the hospital or doctor’s office for a cash discount. Many offices are more than happy to provide a discount if they are paid up in advance.