How Much Do Noise Cancelling Headphones Cost?
Noise cancelling headphones are designed to reduce unwanted sounds using active noise control. These headphones allow you to listen to audio without having to raise the volume excessively, making it a great choice for noisy environments such as an airplane.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the brand, the cost of noise cancelling headphones can vary in price anywhere from as little as $75 to as much as $450.
- For instance, Bose.com offers around-the-ear fit noise cancelling headphones at $299.95 and smaller, on-ear fit headphones for $349.95. The Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic, one of their best rated models, retails for $299.
- CNET.com lists eight of its best noise cancelling headphones, which include brands like Sony, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins and Audio-Technica. Prices range from $99.95 to $399.99.
- At HeadPhone.com, an online headphones retailer, noise cancelling headphones from various manufacturers cost from $79 to $449.95.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the brand and model purchased, an over-the-ear noise cancelling headphone may come with an additional cables with inline microphone and remote iPhone/iPod control. Batteries may also be included in the purchase.
- Some models come with an array of components including a carrying/travel case, detachable headphone audio cable, a plug adapter, a cradle charger with USB cable, dual-plug adapter for use in airplanes, international power charger adapters, or an AC/DC adapter. All brands will vary.
- Some of the more expensive types of noise cancelling headphones have a control that can be used to control the amount of noise that is let in. For instance, you can set the headphones to let in the level of noise emitted by the average person’s voice while cancelling out any noise above a certain decibel.
What are the extra costs?
- If you wish to get more superb headphone sound on your computing device, you may want to consider getting a portable headphone amplifier with USB DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for less than a hundred dollars.
- A headcase bag with straps would be a good expense addition since it can hold the headphones while you are in transit and not using your device.
- A flexible mini-plug interconnect may come in handy if you prefer to connect to your audio sources without losing audio transmission sound excellence or clarity of musical element.
Factors that influence the price:
- Noise cancelling capability. Noise cancelling headphones are designed to drown out background noise and intrusion without impeding sound quality. These headphones are equipped with components that basically sense sound around the device, amplifies the audio, and cancels acoustic noise pressure at the earpiece. Several of the best noise cancelling headphones create isolation through digital signal processing (DSP), which is more effective at blocking external noises than models that can block high frequencies but are not capable of isolating low frequencies.
- Ear-cushion quality. The cushioned pads that cover the ears also play an important part in cancelling external noise as well as in long-term wearing comfort. Some of the best noise cancelling headphones are fitted with proprietary ear cushion technology that acts as an acoustical seal to block noise before it reaches the user’s hearing while being comfortable at the same time.
- Additional features. Some noise cancelling headphones are also perfect for taking calls. They usually have added cable tailored for select products. Taking calls is doable with a remote and inline microphone features that allow volume control, voice applications and the capability to effortlessly switch between music and calls.
Tips to know:
- If you are inclined to take calls while in the midst of listening to your music, it is recommended that you consider noise cancelling headphones that are iPhone or smartphone ready and have adapter cables with microphone as well as a call/answer features.
- Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones may be a good fit for individuals who want to get high quality sound direct from their computer, tablet or smartphone without the wires that get in the way.
- Foldable headbands are good options for users who prefer easy storage and transport.
- Take advantage of 30-day guarantee provided by some retailers. This is an opportunity for you to try out a particular headphone for a period of time before buying it.
- Inquire about the manufacturer’s warranty and what it covers.
How can I save money?
- Check manufacturer and dealer websites for any online sales being held. Some good quality headphones are often on sale at reasonable prices.
- Try out some lesser-known brands as many of them have noise cancelling headphone features that are better than some models and they can be obtained at prices lower than other more recognized manufacturers.
- Go through professional reviews as they provide detailed descriptions about what headphones have superior features and functionality and what brands or models are worth the price.
- Sign up to receive newsletters and emails as many dealers and manufacturers launch special offers to their subscribers.