How Much Does an Oil Change Cost?
Being consistent with regularly scheduled maintenance, such as tune-ups and oil changes, is a great way to extend the life of your vehicle. The cost and slight inconvenience of an oil change is a very small price to pay compared to the car trouble you could have if you neglect this service.
How much does an oil change cost?
- The cost of oil change can vary from $20-$80. This range in price depends on the year, make, and model of your car, as well as what type of oil you choose. This price can also depend on the services each garage includes in the price of an oil change.
- For example, Uncle Ed’s Oil Shoppe offers a basic oil change for $40, a high-mileage oil change for $58, and a diesel oil change for $70. This is one of the more expensive oil shops around. Maximum or synthetic oil changes can cost $35 to $55.
- Another company such as BrakesPlus.com, located in Colorado, charges $26.99 for a standard oil change.
- A dealership could charge anywhere from $30 to $60 for a basic oil change.
- Because most people get the basic oil change, which includes regular not synthetic oil, the average cost of an oil change is about $30.
- Because you are supposed to get an oil change every three months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first, you should get approximately four oil changes per year. This translates to a cost of about $120 per year.
Oil Change Prices
Average Car Dealership
$20 to $60
$20 to $25
$30 to $40
$30 to $40
$25 to $30
$20 to $30
$35 to $40
$26 to $30
$27 to $35
$20 to $25
$30 to $45
$18 to $25
* The price estimates above are for a basic oil change only. If you want to have a premium, syntethic or diesel oil change, the prices can be 20 to 50 percent higher on average.
What is going to be included?
- Most oil changes include up to 6 quarts of oil and a new basic oil filter.
- Most garages also check tire pressure and add air if needed and wash your windows while you wait.
- Some mechanics also check the other fluids in your car to let you know if there are any other services you need.
What are the extra costs?
- If your car needs a more complex filter than the basic one, which many foreign and new cars do, the filter will cost between $5 and $20 more.
- If you need more than the allotted 6 quarts of oil, you will be charged $3-$10 per extra quart, depending on the type of oil your have chosen.
- Additional repairs may be done if the mechanic spots other issues. This could include the patching of tires, tire balancing, radiator flush and more.
Tips to know:
- Always look for a coupon because they are out there. Even if you don’t find one for the company that you’re heading to, ask if they will accept competitor coupons. Companies such as Valvoline commonly have $5 off their services.
- Common fixes that a mechanic will bring up to you include an oil filter, air filter, transmission flush and engine coolant flush. While these things need to be changed often, be sure to know when they should be changed.
- Get the price up front. Oil change companies commonly can scam people with their tricky pricing. It doesn’t hurt to ask what the fixed price is going to be before they start their work. Also ask them what’s going to be included with the oil change. Some companies set themselves above the rest by doing additional things such as window washing and more.
How can I save money?
- Most oil shops offer coupons and savings in the paper or through their websites. Many oil change companies may also give coupons if you sign up for their e-mail newsletter. Since an oil change has wide profit margins, many dealerships are willing to do anything to get you through the door.
- Many garages have a loyal customer program, such as a free oil change after ten oil changes.
- Some mechanics will tell you many other things that you need to have done to your car and try to sell you other services while you are getting your oil changed. Make sure these are legitimate needs before paying for them!
- Consider changing the oil yourself. The job isn’t the hardest thing to do, but may require a few hours of your time. Visit various resources on the web that show you how to change your oil.