How Much Does Overnight Shipping Cost?
Overnight shipping can be a life saver in many situations. Have you experienced an instance where you are pressed for time and you desperately need something to be shipped out as quickly as possible? While procrastination might be one of the causes for us to fret at times, there are also valid circumstances that can put us in a dilemma with time. Good thing that we now have some service companies that can help us through.
UPS, FedEx, and even the local post office can now help us get things done quickly. With its overnight shipping or next day delivery, we are rest assured that our mails or packages get to the intended hands in time. This service is possible because of the fast, efficient way that items are shipped, but each circumstance is going to be different.
How much does it cost?
- Like most mail, the cost of overnight shipping is going to greatly depend on the size of the package, the company you use, the day of the week, the time of day, and the starting point an destination. On average, the costs to overnight a basic envelope or smaller package can range from $15 to as much as $50. For example, the local post office can charge $17 for a small envelope, while FedEx and UPS can charge $40-$50 for a smaller package.
- money.msn.com shares the following overnight cross-country rates from New York to Los Angeles:
on the weight and size
on the weight and size
|Post Office||5-pound box||$50-$60|
What is going to be included?
- Overnight shipping is going to usually be done within 24 hours. Depending on when the package is shipped, most carriers can get it to the destination by 3 p.m. It should be noted, however, that overnight shipping is a type of shipping, but it is not an assurance of shipping time.
- Customers who opt for overnight shipping may be contacted for verification and verbal approval.
- Most shipping companies allow you to track your package as it is moving. This can be done through their website and can help you see when you package arrives safely.
What are the extra costs?
- A handling fee may be charged for a Saturday or Sunday overnight delivery.
- If the package you are sending is fragile or valuable, you may want to consider purchasing insurance for it. This ensures that if your package is lost or damaged, the cost of the items inside will be reimbursed.
- The earlier you want your package delivered the next day, the costlier overnight shipping can become.
- Larger boxes or customized shapes can increase the cost.
Factors that influence the price:
- The key factors that can affect express delivery prices are the package’s dimensions, weight, and distance.
- The time element has also something to do with the pricing scheme of overnight shipping.
- The company can play a role as well.
- Overnight shipping around holidays will be much more expensive since there is such a high demand for the service.
Tips to know:
- The local post office often charges the lowest rate of overnight shipping.
- Most companies will ask that if you want next day air, it will have to be in their hands by 3 p.m. There may also be cut off times during busy times, such as Christmas.
- If it were possible, schedule your shipment ahead so you will not have to rush and pay extra. Avoid overnight delivery to save a lot of your money.
- There are some packages which may not be eligible for overnight shipping. There may also be locations to which it is almost impossible to get a package within 24 hours. However, the charges for these will still be the same.
- Help cut down on fossil fuel use and pollution by choosing ground transportation of your goods and mailing requirements.
- It is very important that you understand the courier’s process and policies for getting your package ready for overnight delivery. It means that you have to get your package in on or before the cut-off or drop off time.
How can I save money?
- Send your packages or mail through your local post office.
- Take advantage of discounts. UPS usually give discounts to bulk shipments, while FedEx can give discounts, especially to American Express users.
- Apply for an account with the courier company to take advantage of discounts. This is highly recommended if you do repeat business.
- If you buy online, check if the retailer offers a better shipping rate.
- Ask yourself if overnight shipping is really necessary.
- Compare the costs of the different overnight delivery or courier service companies. All of the major carriers allow you to get quotes on the web.
- The best way to avoid the cost of overnight shipping is to simply avoid it; be organized and plan ahead so that you will have plenty of time to send the package.