How Much Does Pack Rat Storage Cost?
Pack Rat is a portable storage option where you can either keep the storage unit at any location or have it taken to one of Pack Rat’s storage facilities. This flexibility allows you to do whatever is more convenient for you. Some people choose to use Pack Rat when moving from one location to another. The benefit of this is that you can pack your belongings at your own pace rather than having to do it all in one day. Other people may use Pack Rat storage to store things while part or all of their home is being renovated.
How much is it?
- The cost of a Pack Rat will greatly depend on how far the storage unit is going to have to travel as well as the size and number of storage units you need. The company is going to charge a pickup and moving fee, along with storage if you choose this option.
- Like a moving company, the further you have to travel, the more you are going to pay. For example, a 25-mile move for a 3-bedroom house could cost $350, while a long-distance move could get well into the thousands. To budget, plan on spending close to $10 to $15 per mile for a short-distance move and around $7 to $10 per mile for a long-distance move.
- For example, this Voices article claims that they were quoted under $3,000 for a 300-mile move.
What is going to be included?
- Each Pack Rat unit is going to be 8, 12 or 16 feet long. A 12-foot container can hold up to two rooms while a 16-foot container can hold up to three.
- Pack Rat will bring the storage unit to your location, usually dropping it off in either the driveway or parking lot. Once it has been dropped off, you will have as much time as you need to fill the box; however, if you go over the allotted amount of time that you chose, monthly storage fees will be applied. When the box is filled, the company will come to your location, load up the truck, and take it to your new destination, where it will be dropped off again to unload.
- To see how the process works in detail, camelsandchocolate.com broke down her move across the United States.
- Pack Rat is able to move your belongings anywhere within the continental United States.
What are the extra costs?
- If you need to store your items by the month, plan on spending $150 to $180 per month to keep them in a Pack Rat storage unit.
- Administration fees and taxes will be added; the costs will depend on the move.
- Adding protection to your valuables can increase the price. For example, $75,000 in insurance could cost upwards of $150 for the move.
- Boxes and other moving supplies can be purchased for an additional fee.
- Having a heavy storage unit on your driveway for an extended period of time can cause damage to the concrete or asphalt.
Pack Rat insurance protection
- The Basic Plan. The basic plan will cover you in case the storage unit becomes damaged in any way while it is in your possession or on your property. Without this, you may be charged very high fees to fix any damage that occurred.
- The Silver Plan. This protection plan covers all of your belongings inside the storage unit. With this plan, Pack Rat will cover damage caused by the following: Fire or Lightning; Wind or Hail; Smoke; Weight of Ice, Snow or Sleet; Vandalism and Mischief; Falling Objects; Collapse of the Warehouse; Collision; Overturn of truck; Overflow of water; Upset or overturning of the Container; Burglary with evidence of forcible entry to the Container.
Tips to know
- Those who live in apartments or areas with tight spaces may want to contact the company ahead of time to see if permits will have to be pulled. Some areas may not be able to accommodate these containers.
- The container will have a weight limit, so be advised that if you go over it, you will have to take out some belongings.
How can I save money?
- Pack Rat is just one of the many competitors that offer this sort of setup. Do not forget to get quotes from other leading companies like PODS and UBF.
- Keep your eyes peeled for special discounts or coupons.
- Storage units alone can be an expensive way to move. Do not forget to compare moving trucks and other options.