How Much Does Painting a House Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Painting a house is common maintenance and can add color and style. A house can be painted all over, from the walls to the roof. The cost of painting a house depends whether you will perform the painting or hire someone to paint it for you. The type of paint can also have an effect on the price as well as the size of your house and the complexity of the job.
How much does it cost to paint a house?
- On average, paint usually costs $25 to $50 per gallon. If you use about 10 gallons of paint, which can cover around 1,500 square feet of surface, it will cost anywhere for $150 to $400 for the paint alone. These are the prices if you perform the painting yourself.
- If you decide to hire a contractor, a one story house that is around 1,500 to 2,000 square feet can average anywhere from $1,400 to $3,200. A home that is 2,000 to 3,500 square feet can cost anywhere from $3,700 to $6,500.
- Typically, a painter is going to be around 70 to 80 percent labor costs. Less than 15 percent will be for supplies.
- Contractors may charge on an hourly basis. If this is the case, the average painting contractor rate can vary from $15 to $45 an hour.
In the Middle
|Less than 1,500 square feet|
$1,500 to $4,500
$3,000 to $6,500
$4,000 to $11,000
|1,500 to 2,500 square feet|
$3,500 to $8,000
$5,000 to $12,000
$10,000 to $19,000
|2,500 to 3,500 square feet|
$7,000 to $14,000
$7,000 to $20,000
$15,000 to $32,000
|3,500+ square feet|
$12,000 to $40,000
$18,000 to $50,000
$30,000 to $60,000
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of paint: Paint types can include latex, stain, etc. Each paint can influence the price depending on the brand and quality.
- Height of the house: The taller the home is, the more it’s going to cost.
- Type of material that is used: Materials can range from wood, aluminum siding, masonry, etc.
- If wood needs to be replaced: As mentioned in extra costs below, if the rotted wood has to be replaced, additional charges will be applied.
- Access: How easy is it to access the house? Is the foundation steep? Are there obstacles around the home such as power lines?
- Fixtures: Do any fixtures have to be removed around the house such as awnings or lights?
What are the extra cost to paint a house?
- If you perform the house painting yourself, you will need to rent additional materials that you may not own. You may have to spend at least $50 to $100 daily for a washer or sprayer in order to clean the surface before painting. Other items such an extra long ladders can also be rented for $20 to $75 daily and a power sprayer for $50 to $100.
- Premium paint is going to cost more than the standard paint.
- If any part of the home needs to be repaired, the materials needed will cost extra.
- Rotted wood is a common problem for homes that need to be painted. While some painters may include this in a quote, some may charge extra to fix these boards.
- Changing the paint color from dark to light may require extra coats. Because of this, additional charges can apply with the materials.
What is going to be included?
- The contractors will check the area that they will paint and provide an estimate of the price for the house painting free of charge. Contractors will also provide the free service of removing dirt on the surface. Any prep work will be performed by the contractors since this is the most important part of painting; any surface not prepared properly can cause the paint to ruin overtime.
- Before the paint job starts, the painters will more than likely power wash the areas that need to be painted. All rotten boards will be replaced and any residue will be scraped away to create a smooth service. Any areas that need to be caulked with be fixed too.
Tips to know:
- If you live in a homeowner’s association, be sure to check with them on what the bylaws are. Many associations will approve only certain paint colors.
- If you live in a historical district, be sure to check with your local city to see what the rules are when it comes to repainting a home in your area.
- Hand brushing is going to be a lot more than spray brushing. The problem with spray brushing is that it’s fast and the quality isn’t as good. With a hand painting job, the coat will be thicker, and the paint tends to last longer.
How can I save money?
- Rather than hiring contractors, you may want to just perform the painting of the house by yourself. If you have the necessary skills and tools, you can save thousands of dollars.
- Get at least 3 to 5 quotes. Many painting contractors will come to your home to give out a free quote. Use services such as Service Magic in order to get the best quote in your area.
- Don’t be cheap with the paint that the contractor offers. A great paint can last more than eight years. Cheaper paints will start to chip after a few years.
- Try to talk with the painters in the off-season. Since most tend to call painters during the busier months, you may be able to find a deal in the late fall.