How Much Does a Pap Smear Test Cost?
A pap smear is a type of screening test used in gynecology to detect pre malignant and malignant processes in the endocervical canal. Countries where pap smears are routine recommend that women aged 18 to 65 who have had sex seek regular pap smear testing. T he frequency for having this examination can be performed annually or once every five years. The test may be repeated in six to twelve months if the tests have abnormal results. The price of a Pap smear varies depending on the location where the procedure is performed. Other factors involve the doctor’s fee as well as the fee asked by the different medical institutions or clinics that perform this procedure.
How much is it?
- A pap smear can cost anywhere from $60 to $350 for the doctor’s visit only to perform the pap. This price will not include things such as the lab tests that are performed afterwards.
- With insurance, the price is going to greatly vary depending on your insurance carrier, the deductible on your policy, as well as other factors. It is best to call your insurance company to get a better idea of what this will cost you.
- According to this About.com article, the average cost of a pap smear in the doctor’s office without insurance are going to cost anywhere from $50 to as much as $200.
What are the extra costs?
- The price indicated above is just for the doctor’s visitation; the charge for the laboratory is paid separately. The price of the laboratory depends on the facility that will produce the results of the test. Many labs charge anywhere from $150 to $400 to process the results. The bill will have a breakdown of what was studied as well as the results for each one.
- Abnormal test results will require additional testings, as well as a follow up doctor’s visit to discuss your options and medication if deemed necessary.
What is going to be included?
- The price includes the fee for the doctor and all of the materials and equipment that will be used to perform the Pap smear procedure. The actual test will also be included with the payment. There are various tests that can be performed such as a liquid based or conventional.
Tips to know:
- For those that don’t have any type of insurance, call up a few doctor’s offices and see what kind of plans that they can offer. Most will find that there are some offices that will be more than happy to offer a discounted rate.
- Some offices won’t include the lab fee in the original cost. Make sure that you ask if the lab fees are going to be included. If these fees aren’t included, it’s best to get an estimate on the lab fees as these can get rather high.
How can I save money?
- There are local Planned Parenthood available in your area that can offer low cost Pap smear. Planned Parenthood is an organization that provides sexual and reproductive health care to individuals.
- Make sure that you use the most out of your insurance. Most insurance companies will cover preventative health care such as this.