How Much Does Patching Carpet Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Carpet patching is ideal for those who want to patch a part of a carpet section rather than replace the whole room. Carpet patching is a great option if the spot is rather small and you have a piece of carpet matches the original carpet. The cost of patching a carpet spot is going to vary depending on the size of the patch, the company performing the job, the type of carpet, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- On average, the materials alone for carpet patching will cost anywhere from $8 to $20 per square yard. This is going to depend on the carpet quality and type.
- For a contractor to perform the patching job, patching can cost anywhere from $8 to $30 per yard, depending on the severe the job is. A patching job is going to require a lot more work than laying normal carpet.
- A small patching job that covers 2 to 3 square yards can cost anywhere from $120 to $230 for the entire patch job.
- Carpet repair kits are available that are capable of repairing most carpets. These kits are ideal for smaller jobs. These kits can cost anywhere from $10 to $20. For example, the Carpet Repair Kit made by Orcon costs $17 to $22.
What are the extra costs?
- It is very hard to match the original carpet. It is always best to keep a strip of carpet left over from when it was originally laid. If there are no scraps lying around, additional carpet will need to be purchased from a local vendor.
What is going to be included?
- A contractor will cut the carpet to match the exact area. Once laid, a seaming iron will be ran over it to ensure that it blends in with the rest of the carpet area. A perfectly matched carpet will show no patch marks after, but keep in mind that if you are unable to find a carpet that matched in the first place, it may be noticeable.
- It may be possible to see the seams of the carpet patch for the first few weeks. Once there has been some traffic on the carpet and you have vacuumed a few times, this should disappear.
Tips to know:
- If you’re unsure if you should repair the carpet or not, be sure to look at the life of the carpet. If it’s older than 15 years, it would probably be ideal to replace it completely as carpet that tends to get that old is going to wear away rather fast, especially with a lot of foot traffic.
- Watch the stress of your carpet. Are you moving a lot of furniture around? Are you steam cleaning often? The more than is done to the carpet, the more stress it’s going to show.
- In order to get a great carpet match to the current carpet that your home has, consider borrowing samples from local flooring stores.
How can I save money?
- Before calling a retailer, consider using a carpet repair kit. Kits can be found for $10 to $20.
- If you’re going to hire a contractor in your area, use services such as Service Magic to find the lowest quote in your area.