How Much Does a Pencil Sharpener Cost?
A pencil sharpener is a device that sharpens a pencil’s point. A pencil sharpener can either be a manual or electric machine. An electric motor has a cylindrical cutter that rapidly rotates, cutting the pencil’s end. While a pencil can be cut with a razor knife, it is recommended that a sharpener is purchased because of safety issues. The cost of a pencil sharpener is going to depend on the brand and the type.
How much is it?
- On average, a pencil sharpener can cost anywhere from $1 to as much as $40. Cheaper hand held sharpeners that require a manual motion are near the lower end, while an electric sharpener can cost upwards of $25 or more.
- A manual pencil sharpener can cost anywhere from $1 to $15. For example, the X-Acto Model KS table and wall mount sharpener retails for $12 to $20.
- An electric sharpener that is powered by an outlet can cost anywhere from $12 to $40. For example, the Stanley Bostitch QuietSharp Executive sharpener retails for $20 to $41.
- Battery powered pencil sharpeners can cost anywhere from $3 to $12. These sharpeners can run on a battery rather than being plugged into an outlet. These are ideal for those that need a portable pencil sharpener but do not want a manual one.
- A professional pencil sharpener that can sharpen more than one pencil at once can cost anywhere from $25 to $45. These sharpeners are commonly purchased by teachers since they are used on a daily basis.
What are the extra costs?
- Battery powered sharpeners may need batteries if the initial packaging does not include the batteries in the packaging.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the type, a pencil sharpener will sharpen the end of the pencil until the user stops. The shavings will be collected in a small container that is behind the sharpener. Manual sharpeners may have shavings fall directly on the floor.
- If buying a wall-mounted pencil sharpener, the harward needed to install it should be included along with directions for mounting.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Most pencil sharpeners are going to work the same way. It is wise to check for higher rated sharpeners online to find out what works best for other users. Teachers may want to consider an industrial based sharpener since it will be used more often than a casual user.