How Much Does a Personal Chef Cost?
A personal chef is a chef that prepares meals for a family in the comfort of their own home. A personal chef can either prepare the meals for the upcoming week or the chef can purchase the meals throughout the day. Commonly done in the home kitchen, a chef will be responsible for gathering all the ingredients, serving the meal, as well as helping with the clean up process. The cost of a personal chef is going to greatly depend on the skills, the location, what kind of plan is needed, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, most personal chefs are going to prepare meals ahead of time. These meals will be frozen for the upcoming week. On average, a weekly frozen plan such as this would cost anywhere from $255 to $450 per week for a family of four. This price will not include the groceries.
- For a private dinner cooked directly in the kitchen for a few guests, the cost will fall between $150 to $350 for a party of four.
- For example, the chef David Straus in Denver, Colorado offers meals for families that range anywhere from $175 to $325 for one meal.
What are the extra costs?
- Groceries are extra on top of the chef fee. The groceries will depend on the meal that is being prepared. If you want to use ingredients from the chef’s pantry, the ingredients cost can be more.
- Food can be put into a vacuum sealed bag so that it will last longer. While many chefs include this in their cost, some can charge extra.
- Additional meals and side dishes will cost extra. Also, meals that are not listed on their meal list can cost extra if they do not have a recipe.
- A delivery fee can be extra if you want the chef to deliver to your home. Even if the delivery fee is included with the price, many will knock a few dollars off if you pick it up at their kitchen.
What is going to be included?
- A personal chef will be able to consult with you before any services start. This is your chance to ask questions as well as set up a meal plan. The chef will get to know you and what your family likes and dislikes in terms of meals.
- Upon setting up a meal plan, the chef will more than likely cook the food in his kitchen. Once all the meals are prepped, they will be vacuum sealed and delivered to your door. These meals will have to be either reheated in the microwave or oven.
How can I save money?
- Many chefs love a referral; if you refer them to their services, many will give a discount on your next meal. Ask the chef to see what kind of discounts you can receive.
- Setting an appointment in advance can lead to a 10 to 20% discount.
- Check with at least three chefs to see what they can do for you. Sites such as PersonalChef.com help you find a personal chef in your area.