How Much Does a Personal Driver Cost?
A personal driver, also known as a chauffeur, is a person that drives vehicles such as a luxury sedan or sa limousine to a particular destination. This type of driver is either employed by a service or is self employed. These drivers will drive any person to the destination of his choice. While most services are done on an hourly basis, businesses or wealthier groups can hire a chauffeur on a permanent basis. The cost of a personal driver is going to depend on the geographical location, the service, the experience of the driver, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- For a personal driver that will drive up to 3 people in a sedan, the rates can range anywhere from $22 to $66 per hour. Most chauffeur services are going to have a 2 to 3 hour minimum, and can be called on demand anytime a ride is needed. For example, a 3 hour ride round trip could cost anywhere from $66 to $200.
- For a personal driver that needs to drive more than 4 people, the price tag can go higher since a larger vehicle will be needed. On average, the rates for a 4+ person ride can start at $40 per hour.
- For services that do not require a minimum, some may charge in 15 minute blocks. On average, it could cost anywhere from $9 to $22 per 15 minutes.
- The company IDriveYourRide.com located in Newport Beach, CA has offers that range from $25 to $35 per hour. The company also has senior citizen and VIP rates.
- Another service such as MyPrivateDriver.com offers rates starting at $28 per hour.
What are the extra costs?
- While optional, most drivers will expect a tip. These tips can be anywhere from 10 to 20% of the total bill.
- Last minute appointments that are made outside of their recommended time can result in a premium fee.
- If the driver has to wait for a pick up, they will charge during this time even though they are not driving.
What is going to be included?
- Most private drivers will ask for a 4 hour window. Once an appointment is made, the driver will give a pick up date. Upon arrival, the driver will be able to assist the customer in getting them to his destination. If it is a round trip, the driver can wait or come back later for a pick up.
How can I save money?
- Senior citizens commonly get discounts. Find a service that is able to offer a discount to those over a certain age.
- Pre ordered rides that are made well in advanced can result in a discount.
- If needing a personal driver because of a health issue, highly consider using a taxi service or consider signing up with a monthly plan. Most drivers are more than happy to offer a discount if they know they are going to get your service month after month.
- Some companies have a VIP club that gives discounts to those that purchase on a regular basis.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|