How Much Does a Picket Fence Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A picket fence is one of the first things that may come into your head when you think of a fence. There’s something traditional and elegant about installing picket fences around your property. Also, picket fences do not only provide additional flair to your home, they also serve the basic purpose of keeping your property safe from animals that may accidentally walk in your yard. Picket fences have been used since America’s earliest colonial era; this explains the traditional look a picket fence gives. Picket fences are commonly made of wood and are painted white; they are usually characterized by planks with pointed tops that are evenly spaced.
How much is it?
- Picket fences vary in size and length and this is one of the main factors why the price of the fence is different. Another reason why the price of the picket fence is different is the materials used to manufacture the fence. Fences can be made from wood as well as plastic or vinyl.
- Most fencing will be bought by the foot; a picket fence can range from $10 to $33 per foot. This will not include professional labor.
- Picket fences are often made from plastic and measure 24 inch high and 13 inches long. Each order made through a store can include 18 to 30 sections of picket fencing. For a standard picket fence with measurements noted above, it is best to budget $14 to $30 per section.
- VinylFenceandDeck.com is an online store that sells vinyl fencing. They sell standard as well as wide spacing picket fences which are made of heavy duty vinyl and do not require brackets. The price of wide spacing picket fences can cost anywhere from $14 to $23 while standard spacing picket fences costs $16 to $26.
What is going to be included?
- Picket fences are usually made of wood but there are plastic picket fences available as well. They look great for landscaping projects, garden borders, as well as lawn accents. The plastic is made of reinforced poly construction that resists cracks and rusts and they can be cut to form a custom fit.
- Installing picket fences is usually done in 2 steps which involve digging first before each section is set in concrete.
What are the extra costs?
- There are picket fences that can be installed by the homeowner, but there are other kinds that should be installed by a contractor. Consider hiring contractors as an additional cost when you buy picket fences. Local contractors can offer their services at competitive prices which is always the best option. To have a professional install a picket fence, plan on spending $7 to $11 per foot.
- If you want to install a gate on your fence, gates can start at $100 and go up from there.
- If you are going to do the job yourself, materials such as an auger will be recommended to help dig the holes.
Tips to know:
- Picket fences usually have space between the wooden boards and they usually offer less protection against smaller animals. If you would like to get a more secure perimeter that offers more privacy, you may want to buy a fence that has smaller spaces.
- Plastic picket fences are usually cheaper and they lost longer than traditional wooden picket fences. They are also less maintenance since you will not have to repaint them every few years. You may want to consider this option if you would like the fence to last longer.
- Have your property checked for utility lines that may be hit during the installation procedure before you install picket fences.
How can I save money?
- Picket fences can be purchased from hardware and home improvement stores and they are therefore competitively priced. Most stores have them on sale from time to time, especially in the spring and summer. Some fences are sold in bundles which include a bunch of the fence that can be installed all around the property; this option can cost less per section. It is best to shop around and compare at least three stores.
- Aside from buying picket fences that are overly complicated to install, you can purchase picket fence kits that you can install yourself to save on installation costs. If you are going to need the assistance of a professional, consider using services such as ServiceMagic.com to help find the best quote in your local area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|