How Much Does a Picture Tube Cost?
A picture tube is a vital part of a CRT TV. Before the surge of LCD, plasma, or LED TVs, CRT televisions were the main type of television found in most households. However, the demand for televisions to display high definition content has seen this type of television’s popularity dwindle over the years. Aside from the picture quality, another reason that CRT televisions are no longer popular is how large they are. The size of these TVs is due to the cathode ray tube, also knows as the picture tube. This is the part of the television that projects the image. The picture tube contains an electron gun and fluorescent screen to view the images that it displays.
How much does picture tube replacement cost?
- The price of a picture tube will depend on the television brand, the brand of the picture tube, the rarity and where it’s purchased from. On average, a basic picture tube can cost anywhere from $35 to as much as $300 for the part alone. This will not include any labor or installation charges.
- Because of the declining popularity, picture tubes can be tough to find. There are still stores that sell these parts but you may need to do some research online. For example, TVServiceParts.com is an online store that still sells parts for older TVs. They offer different sized picture tubes that can be used for different brands of televisions. The price of the picture tubes sold on this site can range from $175 to $250.
- According to the site RepairFAQ.org, the price of the picture tube ranges anywhere from $35 to $200.
What is going to be included?
- Picture tubes are manufactured by the same company that made your model of TV. A picture tube comes in a variety of sizes and the quality of their display may also vary. Some picture tubes can project high definition display although it is still eclipsed by modern LCD or LED TVs in terms of picture quality.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying a picture tube is already considered an additional cost since the main reason why you are buying it is to replace the picture tube of your television. The bigger the TV is, the more expensive the picture tube can get.
- You need to remember that picture tube is not easily installed since you will have to open up your television. You need to hire a professional to install the part for you properly. In order to get it installed, plan on budgeting at least $100 to $200.
Tips to know:
- If your picture tube does break, you should not dispose of it the normal way since it poses environmental and safety hazards. There is local government and private organizations that can pick up the picture tube for you as its part can be recycled.
- TVs made with picture tubes are durable; so durable, in fact, that most TVs that need a picture tube replaced will be a decade old or more. You can consider buying a new TV that is slimmer and can project images in high resolution.
How can I save money?
- A picture tube can be hard to find, so the easiest thing to do will be to go straight to the manufacturer. The services that they offer include the price of the tube as well as the cost to install it. If you are lucky, the TV may still be under warranty; depending on the warranty, the tube may be free as well as the installation cost.