How Much Do Pilates Classes Cost?
Pilates is slowly becoming one of the fastest-growing fitness classes today. Good for those that want a low-impact exercise, Pilates provides a great workout for the joints and is enjoyable for all ages. Pilates can help deliver a consistent toned workout that helps tone muscles and burn a decent number of calories for weight loss. The cost of a Pilates class is going to vary depending upon the number of classes, the studio performing the class, and other factors.
How much is it?
- One of the biggest influences that affects the price of a Pilates class is often the geographical location. A Pilates course in New York City is going to be more than a city in the middle of Ohio. On average, a group session can range anywhere from $15 to as much as $55. If more than one session is purchased such as a package deal, the cost can be brought down.
- Private sessions can cost $55 to $100 per class.
- The website StudioBePilates.com states that they charge $80 for individual sessions, while a Trio can cost $45 per person. For a combo class that includes the floor, mat, and tower, the cost can be $30; a mat-only class is $18.
- BodyAwwarenessStudio.com is another Pilates studio that offers Pilates classes. They charge $37 for a group class, while charging $45 for a semi-private session with up to four people.
What are the extra costs?
- Private one-on-one sessions will often cost 30 to 50 percent more than a group session.
- If you want to do Pilates at home, equipment will be required such as mat, exercise ball, and even fitness band. It should cost no more than $100 to get started with an at-home session.
- You may also want to purchase a dvd of pilates exercises to guide you through each session.
What is going to be included?
- There are many types of Pilates sessions. Most are going to include a mat and something known as a tower or reformer. During these sessions, the Pilates instructor will go through particular moves that you will have to follow. The exercise will often be done with a group of people unless a private session was chosen.
- Classes can often be done one-on-one, or with two to four other close friends. If the class is done in a group setting, it can often include more than ten people. The average session can last 30 to 50 minutes.
Tips to know:
- If you are new to Pilates, consider trying out one course before making the commitment to it. The last thing that you want to do is sign up for a package deal and find out that you are not that interested in the workout. Many gyms will let you either participate in or observe a class before signing up.
How can I save money?
- If you love doing Pilates, consider signing up for package deals. The more sessions you purchase in advance, the more you will be able to save. Most Pilates courses often allow you to purchase up to 10 sessions in advanced.
- Some courses may offer a slight discount to senior citizens and students.
- If you do not have the money for a class, consider doing the class at home. There are many DVDs that can be purchased online that cost less than $30.
- While it is tempting to drop in and just take a class, try to sign up ahead of time. When you sign up in advance, this can help save upwards of 20 percent or more in fees.