How Much Does a Planet Fitness Membership Cost?
Planet Fitness is a workout facility that has a little different goals than other gyms. Unlike most gyms, Planet Fitness wants to provide gym goers with a unique experience. To make sure everyone is comfortable, they have created a unique atmosphere that gets rid of any sort of intimidation. They call this “no gymtimidation” and also refer to it as the “Judgment Free Zone.” Instead of focusing on things such as child care, different amenities, snack and juice bars, and all of the other extras, Planet Fitness simply focuses on allowing you to achieve your fitness goals while allowing one of the lowest prices you will find in a gym.
How much is it?
- The cost of a Planet Fitness membership is going to depend on how long you are going to commit. If you are going to pay by the month, the costs are typically around $10 per month. If you are able to commit for more than 12 months, the costs can go down to $99 for the year. On the other hand, if you want to sign up for their Black Card, the costs are $20 per month.
- For example, this Michigan Club charges $10 per month for their basic membership and $19.99 for their Black Card membership. As of today, they are also offering a $99 deal if you commit for 12 months.
What is going to be included?
- Planet Fitness is known for their Judgement Free Zone(R). Equipped with their Lunk(TM) alarm, members can workout without having to feel intimidated, embarrassed or be subjected to the look-at-me attitude. With their simple approach, the gyms focus on equipment only. You will not find any juice bars or childcare centers that drive up their costs.
- A standard $10 membership will include unlimited access to the home club only, a t-shirt, and unlimited training.
- A Black Card will include access to all facilities around the United States, unlimited privileges, tanning, massage chairs, discounts on drinks, a key tag, and t-shirt.
- The average gym will have more than 100 pieces of equipment, primarily cardio and simple weights.
- Depending on the location, many will offer free pizza on the first Monday of every month.
What are the extra costs?
- A one-time startup fee that is usally around $29 will apply to some plans. However, if you commit for the year, you are often able to waive this.
- Upgrading to the Black Card, which offers additional features, can add another $10 per month to your membership.
- Planet Fitness has an online shop at which you can purchase a lot of workout gear. This includes clothing, bags, water bottles, towels, etc.
- If the location that you choose has tanning, this may be an extra cost unless you are a Black Card member.
- Although many Planet Fitness centers have personal trainers available, they will not bother you and try to sell themselves as your trainer. They are available if you need them, but no pressure will be put on you.
Tips to know:
- With any gym contract, always make sure that you read the fine print before committing. If you are unsure of anything, do not be afraid to ask the gym what it means.
- Be aware of their cancellation process when signing up. This tends to be one of the biggest complaints when signing up for any gym.
- Always make sure that you read the reviews to make sure that it is something that you are comfortable with.
- The average monthly fee to Planet Fitness is $15, while the average to other gyms is $50. This is a huge difference and could save you over $400 a year.
How can I save money?
- The longer you sign up for, the more you’re going to be able to save on your membership.
- Every month, Planet Fitness offers promotions for new members. Refer to their main page to see what kind of deals you can take advantage of.
- If you are just looking for a simple gym that gets the job done, this is one that will work, especially for the costs. However, if you are looking for more options — such as a swimming pool, juice bar and childcare — you may want to look elsewhere and compare other gym rates.
- Do not be afraid to haggle on the startup fees.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|