How Much Does a Plumber Snake Cost?
A plumbing snake, also known as “toilet jack” and “electric eel,” is a coiled steel cable that has an end known as a cutter. This tool is used if a plunger can’t do the job.
How much does it cost?
- The prices of a plumber snake can vary because of the fact that a plumber snake can be manual or motorized. Some heavy duty motorized plumber snake can cost $300 or more.
- Top snakes are the smallest of the plumber snakes and cost at least a hundred dollars. Mostly used for showers, bathroom sink stoppages, tubs, washing machines and even kitchen sinks, top snakes can usually have a 25 foot long cable and will be available in different sizes. In addition, they can be manual or electric.
- Medium and large drain machines can be very costly and can be over a thousand dollars.
- Overall, the price will be determined by the type of snake you need for your problem. If you want a simple 25-foot snake for a residence, the cost can be anywhere from $10 to as much as $45. Commercial grade snakes are going to cost anywhere from $100 to as much as $500. These commercial snakes are designed for larger buildings and commercial building situations.
What is going to be included?
- The inclusions on the plumber snake depend largely on the type of snake you will be purchasing. Sophisticated detachable plumber snakes come with different attachments, and each of these attachments can be used differently depending on the nature of the clog.
- Some plumber snakes will come with extensions that can be used for deeper clogs.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. If you buy any plumber snake online, you will be the one to pay for the shipping fees. Not to mention that there may be additional fees added once you place your order such as the tax.
- Plumber’s fee. If you are having some troubles using plumbing tools including the plumber snake, you can hire professional plumbers who can help you with any plumbing jobs. Most plumbers charge per hour, but there are some that may charge per project. The average hourly rate can be around $45 to $150 an hour. SEE: “How much does a plumber cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- The brand. Like any other product, the manufacturer of the plumber snake equipment influences the price of the tool.
- The specific type of plumber snake. As mentioned, there can be different types of plumber snakes. Each of the type varies according to its complexity. Generally, the electric snakes will cost more than the manual ones.
- Location. The prices of plumber snakes (including rental) vary from one region to another. For example, rental fees in Honolulu are about double compared to what is offered in most cities.
Tips to know:
- Before you purchase or rent a plumber snake, you should figure out which type of drain snake you will need. This is identified based on the particular job that needs to be done.
- Some snakes may be hard to use. That is why you should know how to operate them before leaving the shop or rental place.
- If you are having trouble using the plumber snake, you can most likely find tips online or even videos walking your through the process.
How can I save money?
- Instead of buying your own plumber snake, you can rent from most rental places such as local tool centers and home improvement centers at a small portion of the cost that you will pay for professional plumbers. The rental fee also depends on the type of snake you are renting. As per About.com, top snakes are usually rented from $25 or more. Electric power augers cost about $30 to rent.
- If you or a friend can do the plumbing job on your own, then you can truly save a great deal of money. Using this type of snake is not hard at all for simple unclogging jobs.