How Much Does a Pocket Watch Cost?
A pocket watch is one of the many types of timepieces, which are used to tell the time of day. Timepieces that are well made are known to last a very long time. There are antique watches and timepieces that have been around for centuries and can still accurately tell time. The pocket watch is a timepiece that is meant to be carried in one’s pocket. It comes with some type of chain or strap that is then connected to a button, belt, or other part of the clothing. This is to prevent the pocket watch from being dropped when it is pulled out and placed back in the pocket. Perhaps the most common pocket watches were those that were developed in the early years of the 16th century. Gold chains and other adornments are usually found with this watch to give it an elegance that typical wristwatches do not have.
How much does it cost?
- Since many pocket watches are an antique, the costs can greatly vary depending on the age, brand, condition and other factors. On average, a pocket watch can cost anywhere from as little as $1 to as much as $15,000 for a rare piece. However, for those that are looking for a newer pocket watch off the store shelves, the average cost for a pocket watch is between $25 to $100.
- For instance, the highly rated Skeleton Black Pocket Watch retails for $29 to $38.
- The pocket watch is considered an antique, and the website Millersantiquesguide.com states that their rare Swiss watch from the early years of the 19th century is priced at a shocking $9,300.
- Pocketwatchdatabase.com offers a large range of data and details on how to properly evaluate the price and value of the pocket watch.
What is going to be included?
- If you buy an original pocket watch from centuries ago, you will more than likely get a timepiece that is considered to be one of the most elegant in the world. Most come with the traditional design that is meant to give their users an indication of time. Nowadays, the rarity of the materials as well the manufacturer’s origin would be indications of the craftsmanship that have been placed in the creation of the watch. The pocket watch is an antique, and this means that you get a really valuable piece of jewelry.
- Most antique pocket watches will not have a battery, but will instead be wound. Newer timepieces will probably need a battery replacement every so often.
- If you purchase a new pocket watch from a timepiece company, it should come in a protective box. Some may also include some type of guarantee regarding the quality of the watch.
What are the extra costs?
- Usually, the added expense that you would have to pay for would be the effort that will be spent to bring the watch to its former grandeur. Remember, if the pocket watch is an antique, it will probably show a fair amount of wear. However, the damages can still be remedied because of the material used are strong and sturdy.
- Insurance premiums will have to be considered as added expenses as the watches can reach into the thousands of dollars. This means that you might want to have your pocket watch protected. Again, these extra costs should only be factored in if you are purchasing an antique watch.
Factors that influence the price:
- The manufacturer and the location where the pocket watch was created would be major aspects that would affect the pricing.
- The year or century that the pocket watch was crafted will be an element that could increase the price. The older the year it was created, the higher the price you would have to pay.
- The type of material used on the cover of the pocket watch and chain would also affect the price. The purer the gold used in the chains, the higher the potential costs that you would have to pay.
- The unique features that the watch offers can influence the price. For instance, a watch that has diamond end-stones or a tooth ratchet wheel could cost more.
Tips to know:
- Research is the key to getting a genuine pocket watches. It is best to read the details of the original watches of a particular era and period.
- Look for dealers that focus on pocket watches or other antiques. They will have the best idea of the worth of the watch and the history behind it.
- The pocket watches were made in the past for the wealthy and the affluent. Thus, you have to expect the prices to be quite high even today.
How can I save money?
- The best way for you to save money on a pocket watch is to buy from an antique dealer. It is never best to buy from the black market as the prices may seem low but the quality of the watches will be questionable.
- If you want to save on the price of a pocket watch, choose a brand and design from an era where there are plenty of these watches available. The rarer the brand, the design, style, and manufacturer, the higher the costs. eBay is a great place to research the average market costs.