How Much Does a Pop Up Camper Cost?
Pop up campers, also called tent campers or folding campers, are campers that are very convenient for towing while camping and for storage while not camping. Usually used when going on camping trips, pop up trailers are typically equipped with features that make outdoor camping enjoyable while keeping basic conveniences and weather protection readily available.
How much does it cost?
- In general, the price of a pop up camper can be anywhere from $3,000 to over $20,000 depending on the features, capacity, and amenities. However, you can find older units used for as little as $500 to $1,500. Generally, the less you pay, the fewer amenities you will get or the older the camper will be.
- According to CampingEarth.com, new pop up campers can cost from $5,000 to about $20,000 for a large, fully furnished unit. Approximately, shoppers spend between $8,000 and $12,000 for new tent campers.
- At RVTrader.com, a dealer of new and used recreational vehicles, pop up campers cost from $2,980 for a 2004 Flagstaff unit to $24,995 for a 2011 Trail Manor model.
- RV2Buy.com offers a selection of pop up campers of different makes and models ranging in price from $2,488 for a 2005 Epic to $25,564 for a 2013 TrailManor 2417 model.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the model and its manufacturer, a pop up camper basically comes with amenities and features for camping will the capabilities of folding it down for easy towing and storage. Many models come with a camp stove and may include an eating area, a fridge, a furnace, a stove, beds and mattresses, a bathroom, extra space typical of travel trailers, or an awning to provide shelter right outside the camper. Also, pop up camper models have a range of floor plans, which gives buyers several options from which they can choose.
What are the extra costs?
- Attaching the pop up camper to the tow vehicle requires installation fees, which usually depends on towing capacity, materials used and labor costs. The towing rating must first be determined in order to find out what the vehicle and the trailer can handle together. This is to ensure safety when towing the trailer down the road. The towing ratings factor in the trailer size as well as its maximum loaded weight.
- When the total weight to be towed and the weight of the tow vehicle are established, the next thing to deal with is obtaining the right hitch, which comes in four types: receiver-style, weight distributing (load equalizer), fifth-wheel, and gooseneck.
Factors that influence the price:
- Capacity. Pop up campers can accommodate 2 to 4 people, depending on the size. Tent campers with bigger rooms are often larger in size and costlier in price.
- Amenities. Folding campers have standard amenities such as a bathroom, bed(s), a stove, a heater, a refrigerator, and awning. The high-end ones are often equipped with more features including an air conditioner, cable TV hookup, extra shelving and storage, heated mattress pads, a stereo system with outdoor speakers, and a power lift system.
- Ease of setup. Some of the more expensive tent camper models come with features that make setting up even easier than standard models. Units with A-frame models or the hybrid models are quick to and simple to open.
- Model. Older tent campers are naturally less expensive compared to the newer models. The newer units often have better features, more amenities, or components that have been upgraded.
Tips to know:
- Shop around and look at as many tent campers as possible to get an idea of what features you prefer to have in a pop up camper. This can help you avoid buying a replacement or upgrading the unit.
- Visit several dealers and look at as many pop up campers as possible. Find out about the features and take note of the prices offered.
- Check if the dealer offers an extended warranty policy on the pop up camper you wish to purchase.
- If you are only going to camp a few times a year, you should consider purchasing a used model. If you enjoy camping so much that you go very often, consider getting an upgraded model.
- When buying a used unit, have a professional perform a thorough inspection to ensure the trailer is in good condition.
Questions to ask:
- What vehicle is needed to pull the pop up camper?
- Are electric brakes needed to pull the camper?
- How many people does it sleep?
- Does it come with a battery?
- Does it have a water heater? How many gallons of water does it hold?
- How many propane tanks does it have?
- Does it have an air conditioner?
- Is there an add-on room?
- Does it have an awning?
- Is the door sound and secure?
- Does it have a storage area?
- Does it have a support rack for bicycles, surfboards and other such gear?
- What maintenance procedures does it require?
How can I save money?
- Find online dealers offering clearance and internet sale and check if there are potential units offered.
- Check out used pop up campers on sale. Many of these are well taken care of and sold by previous owners for less than $3,000.
- Consider buying a used pop up camper. It will cost much less than a new one, but will generally not come with a warranty. To be sure, buy one from a dealer who offers warranties on used models. Also, you may need to perform a thorough inspection of the unit before making the decision to buy.
- Sign up for memberships to obtain discounts from the dealer; this can also get you offers for free ground shipping.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|