How Much Does Powder Coating Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Powder coating is a process used to apply paint to a surface. Once the powder is applied, it is cured under heat, which allows a skin to form. Traditional paint can take a long time to dry. Depending on the surface to which it is applied, it can begin to crack and peel off. Powder coating, however, is a great option to have when you want to have a fast and quick drying material. Dry powder is applied and unlike the liquid suspension, there will be no need to have a binder and filler. This type of paint is ideal for metal surfaces, which is why it is so often used on bikes. It is also rust resistant, so it is perfect for items that may be left outside once in a while.
How much does it cost?
- The price of powder coating is going to greatly depend on the type of product being coated. The price can be as low as $4 and reach prices as high as $200.
- For instance, small airplane and automotive parts such as seal plates, covers, and tubes can cost as little as $10. Something large such as an engine mount or frame can cost upwards of $200.
- On the business website Carterspowdercoating.com, they list the different metal and parts on which they could perform the powder coating. Each of the different parts has varied prices that are usually based on the size of that particular material. Here, each part can cost anywhere from $5 to as much as $150. Generally, the larger the part is, the more it is going to cost.
- If the item that needs painted is very large in size, this is a huge factor in determining the value of the powder coating process. Competitiveedgecoatings.com states their pricing to be quite competitive based on the type of metal used and the area that has to be colored.
What is going to be included?
- Powder coating is the process of dry finishing the colors of a metal surface. The procedure typical uses finely grounded particles that are charged electrostatically. This allows the material to stick firmly onto the steel and metal surfaces for which it is meant. Adherence to the parts of the metal surface is necessary as it is often fused onto these areas without any hassle.
- Two basic processes are often used to ensure the material will stick to the surface, and these are by the use of the electrostatic spray and the fluidized powder coating tools.
- Powder coating is generally done on automotive, airplane, ATV, motorcycle and racing parts, as well as furniture, lawn mowers and bicycles.
What are the extra costs?
- Pre-mixing costs may be added expenses that you have to think about. Some stores charge extra fees for the powder coating to be mixed in specific formats.
- Storage costs would also be expected for the powder coating material in cases there will be added paint that needs to be kept away.
- Delivery charges for the powder coating package would also be expected to be quite high as the material is quite fragile. Hence, it comes to mind there will be extra precautions to be taken.
Factors that influence the price:
- The larger the surface area that needs to be painted will mean the higher the potential price that you need to pay up for the powder coating.
- Metal parts that are smoother than the ordinary will often have this harder effort on your part to paint it with powder coating. Hence, you might have to think of adding more adhesive mixtures or another more expensive curing agent to enable the paint to stick to the surface faster and quicker.
Tips to know:
- It is best to know the type of surface that you will be using the powder coating on. Typically, the most basic metal surfaces are capable of this application. However, for the more complex metals, you might need to look into the additives and the mixtures that have to be used up.
- Choose the application process that you think is the perfect one for you. If you feel that the spray is easier for you to work with, then it would be best to choose this over the fluidized bed powder.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money on powder coating is to ensure that you have the right curing agents for the specific metals parts that you need to work on. Technically, there are plenty of different surfaces for the metals, and you need to make sure that you get to buy the right additive as you might otherwise end up buying another one that fits your needs.
- With any service, always make sure that you compare and get at least three quotes. If it makes sense to ship the item into a company, then by all means, do it.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|